Calculating ABV help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CADETS3

Reaction score
I had too much water in my beer when I brewed a month ago. Og was 1.067 when it should of been 1.085. I added Belgian sugar when it was still in the primary. I'm about to bottle what 1 gallon I have left in 2 growlers. I kegged my other 5 yesterday. How can I calculate my ABV after I added my sugar. I haven't checked fg yet.

It might have been better practice to mix the sugar with your wort to get your desired OG before fermentation. Im not sure if adding the sugar after fermentation will change anything, maybe if you agitate the yeast at the bottom a little?

Im not sure how you would get your ABV.

If you add more sugar to a fermenting wort, take the current S.G. before and after addition. That way you will know what the adjusted O.G. was. So if you were low by 18 points in a 5 gallon batch, you'd know you would have to add 2 lbs. of a concentrated DME wort to get a little less than 18 more points given the dilution. DME is given 45 points per pound per gallon or 9 points per 5 gallons. If you didn't get the S.G. before you added the candy sugar then you won't know what the adjusted O.G. is for sure and you will have to guess based on points per pound per gallon of the candy sugar and how much you added. Hope that helps.

If you added the sugar in a little water, it's pretty easy to figure if you know your total volume. For example, you had an OG of 1.067 in 5 gallons, and then added a gallon of water plus two pounds of Belgian sugar, that makes it 1.068 in 6 gallons. Or, if you had 5.5 gallons of 1.067, and added .5 gallon of water with your sugar, that's 1.074 OG. You just have to know your volume- easy peasy!

Then, use the formula (OG-FG) x131 = approximate ABV

although it's not as exact as i would want it, i can live with it and learn from my mistakes. I get it to be at 7%. i cannot wait to drink this bad boy as it's sitting in the keg right now!

Back