C Hop IPA help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewkyBrown

Reaction score
After contacting a couple of the breweries that make some great IPAs that I like, they both say to use plenty of c hops.
I have lots of cascade, centennial and Columbus hops in the freezer.

Can any one advise a hop schedule using these 3 hops to create that citrus bomb type IPA.
My grain bill is
11.5lbs 2-row
1lb Munich
12oz Victory
8oz wheat malt
(US 05 yeast)

Any thoughts on the grain bill would be great too. One Brewer suggested mashing high (156) to get a more balanced beer...

Thanks.

If it were me I would bitter with Columbus or Centennial and then do late additions and hopstand/whirlpool with Cascade and Columbus.

What IBU range are you looking for exactly?

I'm with Sammy. Late additions and hopstand plus dryhop will give you the citrus bomb you're looking for. Nice grain bill, by the way. I'd mash 152ish. I feel 156 would be too high, and would rather an IPA be too dry than too sweet or full-bodied.

Eliminate the victory. The Munich will add a good touch of flavor. If it were me, I'd just do a single hop centennial with @60 then all whirlpool and dryhop.
If you want the 3 to be used, do a first wort hop with 75% centennial, 25% Columbus then hit it heavy @0 with 50% centennial and 50% cascade and then dry hop with 50% centennial, 25% each of cascade and Columbus.

I love some victory malt in an IPA. I wouldn't mess with the grain bill, munich and victory go well together and it's all nicely proportioned. Just my opinion. OP, is this a 6 gallon batch?

Latest posts

Back