C Brite for cleaning bottles help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evancold

Reaction score
Ok I have been using b-brite to clean my bottles with great results....until recently. My procedure is to fill up my sink add the appropriate amount of b-brite to the water. Then submerge the bottles while wearing gloves to avoid getting the cleaner all over my hands. If the bottles have labels or anything after 24 hours they would come right off and the bottles would look brand new. I have been using this method for about 3 months. However now I have ruined bottles from using the same method. Now whenever I soak the bottles using the same procedure they are coming out with a "film" on the bottle. This "film" is impossible to remove. Even with heavy scrubbing it now seems the film is permanent on the bottle. I am confused here....I have changed nothing about my procedure and now it is just ruining bottles. Any idea what would be causing this result? I am at a loss considering it worked so well before. :confused:

You probably have hard water, and the film is mineral. Try using an acid wash (cheapest is white vinegar) to remove it. Then switch to PBW for your cleaning.....it has chelating agents to prevent hard water deposits. At least when I use it with our hard as bricks well water, I have no problem.

Latest posts

Back