Buying pre-made?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LGHT

Reaction score
I'm just getting into home brewing and would love to have a keezer, but to be honest i'm a techie and when it comes to tools / building things I've tried and failed. As a result I would prefer to buy something already made. Unfortunately it seems like all the kegerators pre-made costs $1000+ if you want more than one tap and they all look like a $80 fridge. Does anyone know of a shop that makes them or a person that makes them in the So Cal area??

You could start with asking LHBS, or if you have a local brew club, that could be an option.

Well three of the taps are setup for sankey (commercial), you will have to change that.

Yeah I noticed that, but it also says "Including everything to run all cornys if needed"... So I'm assuming he already has adapters or fittings, but they just need to be changed? I asked about the make / model of the freezer also.

Now would be the time to learn and not fail...its not hard and self rewarding

Never in a million years. For one I don't have any equipment to do anything with wood. I don't have any tools, don't know much about kegs to begin with and also don't have time. That would be like me asking you to write a custom web based CRM using php.... :D

Never in a million years. For one I don't have any equipment to do anything with wood. I don't have any tools, don't know much about kegs to begin with and also don't have time. That would be like me asking you to write a custom web based CRM using php.... :D
Agreed ..I need a website...Anytime your ready :D

OP, I think checking Craigslist is a good idea. Just add up the value of the parts and workmanship and make sure it looks like a good value. In my opinion, the $700 one you posted is NOT a good value. It looks like a freezer that might be worth $100, and maybe $250 of other parts. The workmanship, for me, did not add another $350 of value.

Also keep in mind that even if you buy something you have to learn how to operate and clean the kegs, how to balance the lines for a good pour, how to find and fix the inevitable gas leak, how to clean everything... A keg system is not as fire-and-forget as a fridge, even if someone else builds the wood parts.

I completely understand not wanting to build something. I'm the same way, but I am also a cheapskate. I ended up building something super easy. And ugly. I just used an old fridge, and mounted the taps in the door.

YsPPPvM.jpg

oB7c1ex.jpg

The "building" part of this was drilling 4 holes and inserting the tap shanks. Oh, and I mounted the CO2 manifold to a board and hung it off a shelf bracket in the fridge. Very fancy, that. You could also just let it rattle around too.

I can store 3 corny kegs in this fridge as long as at least one of them is a narrow Torpedo keg. There is also room for a 1.5 gal keg on the back hump. If I didn't want the top shelf in the for food storage I could probably fit 1-2 more 5 gallon kegs in there, too.

This would be a disaster if it was inside, but since it is in the garage, the looks don't matter.

Good luck with your keg quest!

Latest posts

Back