Buying My First Starter Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omnidons-Brewing

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm starting out. I've read 2 books, and I'm looking to buy my first starter kit tomorrow. Here are the kits I'm having a hard time deciding between:

* Premium Fermonster Homebrew Starter Kit (229$) : https://www.morebeer.com/products/premium-fermonster-homebrew-starter-kit.html

* Deluxe Fermonster Home Brew Starter Kit (129.99$) : https://www.morebeer.com/products/deluxe-fermonster-homebrew-starter-kit.html

* Homebrew Starter Kit (69.99$) : https://www.morebeer.com/products/homebrew-starter-kit.html

* Personal Homebrewery Kit #2 (129.00$) : https://www.morebeer.com/products/personal-home-brewery-kit-2-deluxe-glass-carboy.html

* Personal Home Brewery Kit #4 - Bottling Super Deluxe With Glass Carboy (355.50$) : https://www.morebeer.com/products/p...kit-4-bottling-super-deluxe-glass-carboy.html

Can I get any recommendations or reviews from anyone whose bought any of these kits? Is there a preferred startup kit people would like to recommend?

I'm looking to start All Grain (not brew in a bag), 5Gallon. I've done a few extracts and BIAB with the local homebrew club. I definitely don't like BIAB, and I think 5Gallon is a perfect size (or at least starting size) for me.

Thank you all very kindly for the help!

I'd go with the Premium Fermonster package. Glass carboys can be very dangerous (look for the carboy horror story threads on HBT.) The PET plastic in the Fermonster has lower O2 diffusion than the HDPE of a fermenting bucket, and the lid seals better as well. I have switched to Fermonsters, and I like them much better than buckets.

If you want to do AG other than BIAB, you will need to get a cooler to use as a mash tun. A 10 gallon cooler will give you much more flexibility than a 5 gal cooler when doing 5 gal batches. And, unless you have a super powerful stove, you will need a propane burner for boiling and heating strike water.

Brew on :mug:

I don't much care for plastic myself, I'm a prospective Ph.D candidate in analytical chemistry and I have a damned hankering for glassware!!

I would go for MoreBeer #2 and then you can do whatever you need from there

I just got started and learned that I really should have a 15 gallon kettle. My 7.5 gallon kettle is barely big enough to contain a boiling 5.5 gallon extract batch. To try all grain, I need either a smaller carboy or a bigger kettle.

I also learned that my kitchen stove has a hard time boiling 5 gallons of liquid. My kit didn't come with a kettle, but fortunately my Walmart turkey fryer for $39 came with with a 7.5 gallon aluminum kettle and a propane burner.

I would consider buying the kettle separate from the kit.

I really should have a 15 gallon kettle. My 7.5 gallon kettle is barely big enough to contain a boiling 5.5 gallon extract batch. To try all grain, I need either a smaller carboy or a bigger kettle.

I would consider buying the kettle separate from the kit.

I don't get these two things. Why?

If I were to start over again, I'd be all over that MoreBeer Premium Fermonster kit.

It's the only reasonably-priced kit out there that includes everything except a burner. It has a beer kit included (that in itself is worth $30), so you don't have to make decisions about what to brew first. That's good so you can work on the process.

The price includes shipping, a fermenter with spigot (all of mine have them), chiller, kettle, spoon, hydrometer, Star-San--it's all there.

I use Northern Brewer's Big Mouth Bubbler, which works fine; if I were to do it over again I'd buy the fermonster. It's about $10 cheaper than the BMB, if you buy $59 of stuff shipping is free, the cap will seal as opposed to some troubles some have had getting the BMB universal lids to stay in place. I haven't had much trouble, and the reason I stay with it is sunk cost plus carry straps plus that's the form factor I'm used to. But starting over again, I'd buy Fermonsters.

I know a lot of people brew using buckets as their fermenters. I don't like them as you can't see what's going on in there, plus sometimes people can't get them to seal properly so the airlock bubbles. That doesn't necessarily mean the beer won't turn out--it likely will--just that you don't know if you have a problem or just a bad seal. In a clear fermenter, easy to see what's up.

I started brewing in December 2015, I have 30 batches under my belt but I still remember what it was like to be a newbie to this. I've since upgraded kettle, burner, chiller, have all the goodies. Yet, knowing what I know now, if I were starting over again, I'd buy that Premium kit instead of the Northern Brewer one. Far less expensive.

One more thing: if you do order this, and since you'd be ordering more than $59, get a second Fermonster. It won't cost any more shipping. Get the 7-gallon one w/ a spigot. The 6-gallon isn't large enough to contain a vigorous fermentation and its krausen. Once you get a batch fermenting, you'll likely wish you had a second fermenter so you could get that one going as well.

Good luck in whatever choice you make, and enjoy!

Mongoose, do you recommend any particular burner? I searched on MoreBeer and I didn't see a burner (either I didn't do a good search or they don't sell them). What style/size burner is a MUST have? As for the second fermonster, is that really just to have 2 brews going at once, or is there more to it than that?

What about carboys? Any of them neccessary starting out? Anything else absolutely neccessary to starting out doing 5Gal ALL-GRAIN ?

Thanks very much!

I'd like to chime in from someone who spent way too much money over the years on too much useless equipment then over time realized I only needed a few specific items to make great beer. Surly you have and know how to operate a drill..

I know you said ALL Grain and 5 gallon batches. But everything below will be used anyway if you decide to move up. I'm actually moving from AG IPAs to PM as IPAs are hop centric. Malt centric beers, AG definitely has an advantage. An AG day, including preparation, chemical calculation, much longer wort cooling times and cleanup runs about 6-8hrs. PM is 1.5hrs (with 30min boils).

Starter kit (PM or Extract):
Boiling:
1- 4gallon pot, Wallmart ($10) [Boil on stove with no issues here]

Fermentaion/bottling (3.75gal batches):
4- 5 gallon Home Depot buckets w/lids ($20)
2- Airlocks and grommets (any LHBS $3). Drill and install yourself.
1- Plastic valve assembly, spring loaded bottle filler, small amount of tubing. Converting 1 HD bucket to bottling bucket. (any LHBS $5)
1- Container that can hold your HD bucket. Fill 1/2 way with water and add small amounts of ice for fermentaion temp control then cold crashing later (very important step to make clean beers). Got mine from Big Lots for $3.

Accessories:
1- Racking cane/tubing (LHBS $15)
1- 8oz Star Sans ($10). The last HD bucket holds 2.5gallons of Star Sans mixture and last many many brews. Also get a spray bottle and spray EVERYTHING!! :)
1- Stainless spoon/stirrer (anywhere $8-15)
1- Small digital scale for hops. (anywhere $10)
1- Hydrometer (LHBS $12). Optional, I know guys who don't use it for PMs.
1- Capper/caps (LHBS $20)
25- Bottles. Well you probably drink so these are free. Just make sure they have a bigger bevel on the cap (non-twist obviously). Rinse them out right after drinking.

And you first KIT ($30)

So for about $120, you now have everything you need to boil, ferment and keep a good temp control, cold crash to drop any yeast/hops in suspension, bottle and sanitize everything. Difference between 5galAG and 3.75PM is not much in volume, but equipment needed significantly change$. Hope this helps. If I were to start over, that is all I'd do.

Oh and welcome to the Funny Farm! Cheers!

20160728_170858.jpg

Mongoose, do you recommend any particular burner? I searched on MoreBeer and I didn't see a burner (either I didn't do a good search or they don't sell them). What style/size burner is a MUST have? As for the second fermonster, is that really just to have 2 brews going at once, or is there more to it than that?

What about carboys? Any of them neccessary starting out? Anything else absolutely neccessary to starting out doing 5Gal ALL-GRAIN ?

Thanks very much!

https://www.morebeer.com/search?search=burner

I have the Blichmann floor burner, and love it. The Anvil burner however, looks like a great deal. The Tripod legs with self leveling feet will let it sit better on a slightly uneven surface. Bayou Classic (can be found on Amazon) also makes some popular burners. The KAB4 and KAB6 are both suitable, and the cheapest option is a SQ14 (I also have one of those. It's a little under powered, but usable for 5 gal batches.)

You do not need any carboys to brew. Many beginner instructions will talk about doing a secondary fermentation in a carboy, but that's usually a waste of time, effort, and adds more opportunities for infection and oxidation. Most brewers forgo a secondary, unless they want to add fruit, etc., or plan to age the beer. I got rid of the one carboy I had.

https://www.morebeer.com/search?search=burner

I have the Blichmann floor burner, and love it. The Anvil burner however, looks like a great deal. The Tripod legs with self leveling feet will let it sit better on a slightly uneven surface. Bayou Classic (can be found on Amazon) also makes some popular burners. The KAB4 and KAB6 are both suitable, and the cheapest option is a SQ14 (I also have one of those. It's a little under powered, but usable for 5 gal batches.)

You do not need any carboys to brew. Many beginner instructions will talk about doing a secondary fermentation in a carboy, but that's usually a waste of time, effort, and adds more opportunities for infection and oxidation. Most brewers forgo a secondary, unless they want to add fruit, etc., or plan to age the beer. I got rid of the one carboy I had.

So you recommend the Fermonster deal +Blichman or Anvil burner? Nothing else then needed right?

Many beginner instructions will talk about doing a secondary fermentation in a carboy, but that's usually a waste of time, effort, and adds more opportunities for infection and oxidation. Most brewers forgo a secondary, unless they want to add fruit, etc., or plan to age the beer. I got rid of the one carboy I had.

I've done both extensively and found, in general, my beer is "cleaner" tasting doing secondary and cold crashing at each stage. But takes experimenting for sure to see for ones self.

I love my Blichmann burner, but central Texas can get too hot and muggy for brewing outside.

Ok, so I'm starting out. I've read 2 books, and I'm looking to buy my first starter kit tomorrow. Here are the kits I'm having a hard time deciding between:

* Premium Fermonster Homebrew Starter Kit (229$) : https://www.morebeer.com/products/premium-fermonster-homebrew-starter-kit.html

* Deluxe Fermonster Home Brew Starter Kit (129.99$) : https://www.morebeer.com/products/deluxe-fermonster-homebrew-starter-kit.html

* Homebrew Starter Kit (69.99$) : https://www.morebeer.com/products/homebrew-starter-kit.html

* Personal Homebrewery Kit #2 (129.00$) : https://www.morebeer.com/products/personal-home-brewery-kit-2-deluxe-glass-carboy.html

* Personal Home Brewery Kit #4 - Bottling Super Deluxe With Glass Carboy (355.50$) : https://www.morebeer.com/products/p...kit-4-bottling-super-deluxe-glass-carboy.html

Can I get any recommendations or reviews from anyone whose bought any of these kits? Is there a preferred startup kit people would like to recommend?

I'm looking to start All Grain (not brew in a bag), 5Gallon. I've done a few extracts and BIAB with the local homebrew club. I definitely don't like BIAB, and I think 5Gallon is a perfect size (or at least starting size) for me.

Thank you all very kindly for the help!

I'm just getting started too. If it wasn't for the fact a buddy of mine gifted me half of my kit and I had to pay for everything I'd definitely pick the Premium Fermonster too. Good value and looks like the perfect starter. .

So you recommend the Fermonster deal +Blichman or Anvil burner? Nothing else then needed right?
Yes on the Premium Fermonster kit (mongoose33 also recommended), and either the Anvil or Blichmann.

As I mentioned in a previous post, you will need a cooler for a mash tun in order to to all grain, since you don't want to do BIAB. I would recommend a 10 gal cooler. The process would be:
  • Heat strike water in boil kettle
  • Transfer strike water to cooler mash tun, add grain, stir well, cover, and wait.
  • Drain wort to boil kettle, and start heating to boil
  • Batch sparge in the mash tun using unheated water (no you don't need hot water for batch sparging.)
  • Drain sparged wort into boil kettle, and proceed with boil
If you want to fly sparge, you will need another kettle and burner to heat the sparge water, or another cooler (5 gal would suffice) to store sparge water that has been pre-heated in your boil kettle.

Edit: You may also want to get a large plastic tub that will hold the Fermonster. This will be used as a swamp cooler to control fermentation temperature. Suitable tubs can be found at hardware and garden supply stores.

Last edited:
I've done both extensively and found, in general, my beer is "cleaner" tasting doing secondary and cold crashing at each stage. But takes experimenting for sure to see for ones self.

I have never done secondary, but I do cold crash. Many BJCP certified judges have found my beer to be "clean." There are many ways to make good beer. For me, the simpler the better. I also believe new brewers should start out simple, and only add complexity, if they feel the need to, later when they know why they are adding it.

Edit: The perceived benefit you get from secondary may just be due to waiting longer to taste the beer (i.e. not drinking green beer.) It takes the yeast some time, after fermentation is complete, for the yeast to clean up some of the off flavors. But, this clean up can occur in bottled or kegged beer, just as well as in secondary "fermentation."

Last edited:
I'm just getting started too. If it wasn't for the fact a buddy of mine gifted me half of my kit and I had to pay for everything I'd definitely pick the Deluxe Fermonster too. Good value and looks like the perfect starter. .

Definitely "Premium Fermonster" kit, not the "Deluxe Fermonster" kit. The kettle in the deluxe kit is too small for a full volume boil, which is needed for all grain. Also the 7 gal Fermonster is a much better choice for 5 gal batches than the 6 gal Fermonster.

I recently started as well and i bought the Alfreds Kit, it also came with everything you need (minus bottles and ingredients) and it was about $95. i upgraded a few things for my second batch but im pretty sure that the cheaper and easier you start the better. if you screw some things up it doesnt matter as much that way i find.

Also, just having the basic equipment that comes in all kits is good, and upgrading a few of the main things is easy.

Yes on the Premium Fermonster kit (mongoose33 also recommended), and either the Anvil or Blichmann.

As I mentioned in a previous post, you will need a cooler for a mash tun in order to to all grain, since you don't want to do BIAB. I would recommend a 10 gal cooler. The process would be:
  • Heat strike water in boil kettle
  • Transfer strike water to cooler mash tun, add grain, stir well, cover, and wait.
  • Drain wort to boil kettle, and start heating to boil
  • Batch sparge in the mash tun using unheated water (no you don't need hot water for batch sparging.)
  • Drain sparged wort into boil kettle, and proceed with boil
If you want to fly sparge, you will need another kettle and burner to heat the sparge water, or another cooler (5 gal would suffice) to store sparge water that has been pre-heated in your boil kettle.

Edit: You may also want to get a large plastic tub that will hold the Fermonster. This will be used as a swamp cooler to control fermentation temperature. Suitable tubs can be found at hardware and garden supply stores.

Is there a mash tun/tub that you recommend from any sites/stores/etc?

Sorry, I can't recommend a mash tun, as I have never used one. I am a hard core BIABer.

Edit: This type of cooler is very popular for MLT use, and the current price seems to be pretty good based on what I have heard. Morebeer sells one already modified for use as an MLT but it is more than 3x as much. You would need to add a braid filter and ball valve to the bare cooler to turn it into an MLT. There is info on that in this subforum on HBT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely "Premium Fermonster" kit, not the "Deluxe Fermonster" kit. The kettle in the deluxe kit is too small for a full volume boil, which is needed for all grain. Also the 7 gal Fermonster is a much better choice for 5 gal batches than the 6 gal Fermonster.

I meant the premium, my finger typed deluxe...edited and all good now, thanks for the catch

Make one-
Menards Igloo Ice Cube 48 qt .(lid has a small compartment to keep hose clamps and small stuff. also comes with 2 beer bottle holders molded in the lid ,what a bargain!)
While you're there ,go back and grab a coil of copper tubing for your wort chiller .
You'll need to drill a hole for a ball valve, the spot is molded into the plastic but they didn't put a spout in it ( weird)
threaded bulkhead union 1/2 inch
1/2 inch ball valve
1/2 NPT to 3/8 PEX fitting
I bought a Bazooka from my LHBS because it was a wash as far as price of the ss water hose with appropriate fittings to fit and the work involved...also no grain crush to worry about

I paid less than 1/3 the price in parts as a local leading ready made MLT and built it in less than 30 minutes. simple and if something needs replacing , I know where I got it ,local .
The money I saved will go to buy a chugger pump later on.

Ok, so I am going with the Premium Fermonster. (Making my check-out this Friday with the paycheck).

What burner is best/most recommended from MoreBeer's website? Is there also anything else I should be getting? (would like to keep this under 400$ total, the Premium Fermonster is 229$).

I can speak to the blichmann burner. It's stable and sturdy and puts out plenty of heat. I have one under all three kettles and I've used them for years. Anvil is a lower price point option from Blichmann, it's great for starting out and if you do want to upgrade you'll be able to sell it used relatively easily.

The concept of resale can be something to consider with this hobby. Some folks can really get into building breweries, myself included. I try to buy once cry once but I've found my gear, batch size and control requirements have changed over the years. I've found it beneficial to buy quality gear either new or used. I look for used gear all the time.

If you're one a $400 budget you'll probably need to go anvil or bayou for the burner. You still need a mash tun right? Those are easy to build on the cheap. You may want to look at the sale forum and Craigslist for a used tun and/or burner.

Ok, so I am going with the Premium Fermonster. (Making my check-out this Friday with the paycheck).

What burner is best/most recommended from MoreBeer's website? Is there also anything else I should be getting? (would like to keep this under 400$ total, the Premium Fermonster is 229$).

I'd look at the Camp Chef burner. 60,000 btus is enough to do a 5-gallon batch well. It also comes with leg extensions that should allow you to drain the kettle directly into the fermenter. All the shorter burners will require either leg extensions at greater expense, or lifting a 40+ pound kettle up to a table or something from which it can drain.

I have a different model yet similar to the Camp Chef--it's a King Kooker which has the long legs. It's only 54,000 BTUS so the Camp Chef will do 10 percent more heat.

I upgraded to the Blichman Hellfire just after Christmas--it's great at every level, though pricey. I had to add the leg extensions which added $45 to the price, putting the total about $200. The Camp Chef, at half the price of the Blichmann with leg extensions is a more cost-effective option.

What abut grain mills, and hot plates and stuff for yeast? Are those neccessary starting out, or things that I can pick up as I go along?

What abut grain mills, and hot plates and stuff for yeast? Are those neccessary starting out, or things that I can pick up as I go along?

I started out about 8 months ago with a $49 beginner starter kit from Northern Brewer. And after 31 batches I still don't have a grain mill or hot plate. However, I have upgraded to 3 gallon carboys from 1 gallon. I bought a hydrometer and accurate scale for weighing hops and specialty grains.

Someday I might move up to all grain but not in the foreseeable future.

Well, if you're doing extract, yea, I really don't see a need for a stir plate or grain mill. But for all-grain I imagine its quite different.

Do any all-grain brewers think I should get a grain mill or stir/hot plate at the onset, or are these things that can wait?

Initially, you can do all-grain w/o either a mill or a stir plate. Your LHBS will crush grain for you, and you can either pitch liquid yeast directly or use dry yeast, either as-is or rehydrated.

If money is not a concern, then look for the best you can afford. If it's dear (as it is to many), perhaps researching which mill you'd like would be a good idea, then look for a deal then pounce.

You can build your own stir plate if you're so inclined. Costs about $15 to maybe $20. There are threads on HBT about doing exactly that--which is how I learned to do my own.

In the end, this is about deciding how much control you wish to exert over the process. Having your own mill means you can control the crush. Having a stir plate means you can control how you build a starter. If these things are important (they are to me, but it's OK if others draw different conclusions), then you'll want to have them eventually.

I'd look at the Camp Chef burner. 60,000 btus is enough to do a 5-gallon batch well. It also comes with leg extensions that should allow you to drain the kettle directly into the fermenter. All the shorter burners will require either leg extensions at greater expense, or lifting a 40+ pound kettle up to a table or something from which it can drain.

I have a different model yet similar to the Camp Chef--it's a King Kooker which has the long legs. It's only 54,000 BTUS so the Camp Chef will do 10 percent more heat.

I upgraded to the Blichman Hellfire just after Christmas--it's great at every level, though pricey. I had to add the leg extensions which added $45 to the price, putting the total about $200. The Camp Chef, at half the price of the Blichmann with leg extensions is a more cost-effective option.

check amazon for the banjo style burners, I saw some for as low as $23 ,not sure if that had free shipping .

Latest posts

Back