Butterbeer (yes, of HP fame)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely going to brew this soon. Got a couple things to try first (Brandon O's Graff being #1) but me and my roommates are all big HP fans and this would be a fun thing to have around.

I'm making round 2! Its already in primary as we speak. I didn't add the tablespoon of cinnamon at the end of the boil. But I did add the molasses at the end of the boil instead of at the end of high krausen. This time my recipe was a little different but not too different.

3.3lbs light LME
2lbs Pilsen DME
1lb Crystal 120l steeped for 20 minutes at 150F
.5lb Crystal 20 steeped for 20 minutes at 150F
1 ounce Northern Brewer 60 mins
1 ounce Saaz 5 minutes
1 cup of Molasses 5 minutes
16oz Turbinado sugar at end of boil
Windsor yeast

After 14 days in primary I will be racking up to secondary on top of 8oz of caramel, 8oz of butterscotch, and 7.5oz of cinnamon sticks. After a week in secondary I'm going to add 4oz of McCormick's Vanilla Butter and Nut Extract, and 4oz McCormick's Pure Vanilla Extract. Then let it sit for a few more days and then bottle with 8oz of priming sugar.

Well this most recent batch is complete and all I can say is WOW!

I was truly going for an over the top, extremely sweet, and flavorful beer. I can say without a doubt that I completed my goal with flying colors. I'll be brewing this one more time to try and get the mouthfeel right, but this beer is shaping up to be something truly special. Thanks to azazel1024 for the original recipe.

I've taken this latest batch to my local homebrew store and I'll be entering it into a couple local homebrew contests. If it wins any awards I'll be sure to post it here :D

We are having a HP theme birthday party for my step-daughter and SWMBO wanted me to make an "adult" version of butterbeer. Here's my recipe:

-7 lbs 2-row pale
-.75 lbs honey malt
-.25 lbs biscuit malt
-1 oz cluster hops @ 60 minutes
-us-05 yeast

-150 degrees for 60 minutes
-mashout 170 degrees for 10 minutes
-60 minute boil

Fermented for 2 weeks at 67-68 degrees in my ferm chamber

Soaked a whole vanilla bean in 2 oz vodka for 5 days.
Racked to secondary with vanilla vodka and 1 cup butterscotch extract.
Sit for 1 week
Bottled with about 6 oz priming sugar for a full head.

1 cup of butterscotch seemed like A LOT when SWMBO suggested it but I tried it a couple days after bottling to get a taste of it and it was pretty spot on. Tasted very much like cream soda with a but of alcohol smell (maybe from the vodka). I did not get gravity readings for it because my hydrometer broke and I haven't replaced it yet...but I imagine it is +-5%.

Got what I thought was an infection less than 24 hours after moving to secondary, but I think it was just yeast getting to the butterscotch. No off flavors. Party is this weekend. Excited to see how it turns out in the end

Sent from my iPhone using Home Bre

Tried one 2 days after bottling, just to try it. Turned out good. I'll know for sure on Saturday and will reply then.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400727381.306366.jpg

Turned out great!! I would definitely recommend this recipe to anyone making a butterbeer "clone". I thought the 1 cup of butterscotch would be overwhelming but it was very mellow. I had one if these and an A&W cream soda back to back and could barely tell the difference. The butterscotch I used is called Amoretti premium syrups butterscotch. I believe SWMBO found it on amazon. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back