Burton Union System - 2 Carboys DIY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danz

Reaction score
What is the Burton Union? link

"Traditionally, a union system (later referred to as a Burton Union after becoming linked to its use in the Burton area) is a network of several wooden casks and troughs interconnected via copper plumbing. All of the casks work in union during fermentation, commingling their beer and yeast. As the beer ferments, pressure pushes some liquid up into long troughs above the casks (like blowoff in a homebrew setup), where the yeast settles out of suspension and the remaining volume of beer trickles back into the casks. This allows for easy harvesting of yeast — essentially a form of top cropping — for immediate reuse. It also minimizes the loss of beer through blowoff."

So this is my idea.
ZwNUdmT.png

Carboy #1 is a 5g filled to just under the neck (.5" or so) and the entire yeast pitch is added. As the krausen builds it will travel to a Dr.Pepper bottle (has very steep sides) and the krausen will fall into Carboy #2 a 6g. There is an airlock at the top of the bottle and a blowoff on Carboy #2 to allow for CO2 release.

How do you think this will work out?

This is done usually like this

yeast+cropping+001.jpg

not sure why you would add the extra bottle up top (possible sanitation risk in my eyes). but i'm probably missing something (it's early :) )

The idea of the bottle was to transfer the yeast to carboy #2 and allow for CO2 release. I have an IPL I was planning on testing this with and was concerned with connecting straight into the carboy without any way for the CO2 to escape.

I do like this setup though for capturing yeast of a single batch, will have to borrow this design.

Would be fun to taste the 2 beers side by side and see if there a flavor difference.

as you end up with blow off and the yeast starts to slowly drip down into the second batch of wort, don't you run a substantial risk of underpitching the second? how will you gauge how much yeast has managed to get into the second batch?

as you end up with blow off and the yeast starts to slowly drip down into the second batch of wort, don't you run a substantial risk of underpitching the second? how will you gauge how much yeast has managed to get into the second batch?

That is a risk for sure and why I am not investing a whole lot into the setup :) My thinking is by pitching a full size pitch in #1 and filling the carboy as high as I am a majority of the krausen will transfer travel to #2. Being very active it should get up to speed fairly quickly. Since its 2 separate batches I will be able to taste them side by side and see if there is any off flavors with this method.

This is done usually like this

yeast+cropping+001.jpg

not sure why you would add the extra bottle up top (possible sanitation risk in my eyes). but i'm probably missing something (it's early :) )

With the racking cane in the beer isn't pressure going to push beer out the tune rather then yeast?

As long as the bottom of the cane is almost at he bottom of the fermentator, the pressure that will build in the airspace above the beer will push the beer column down, where the only relief is to travel to the collection bottle. My question is how do u prevent the yeast collection bottle from overflowing?

I'm pretty sure the pic Rivenin posted is showing the racking cane somewhat above the level of the beer, and will collect the krausen after it rises to cover the end of the racking cane. Looks like a great way to top crop yeast out of a glass carboy!

In a Union all of the fermenters are pitched, the union just facilitates removing yeast and returning beer that would otherwise be "blown-off" to the fermenter.

I'm pretty sure the pic Rivenin posted is showing the racking cane somewhat above the level of the beer, and will collect the krausen after it rises to cover the end of the racking cane. Looks like a great way to top crop yeast out of a glass carboy!

Indeed! sorry, just saw this... but that is indeed what i was getting at.
Going to try this soon myself soon, once i get my fermentation chamber height figured out!

Latest posts

Back