Burton Ale yeast, vigorous and warm fermentation, what to expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulC

Reaction score
I brewed an 11 Gallon batch of what will be my Christmas ale on saturday.OG was 1.075. I made a 3L starter with White Labs Burton Ale (wlp023). Used a step mash with a relatively long step at 152. wort was well aerated and noticed a very short lag time, 3-4 hours maximum.

I am fermenting in a pair of 6.5 gallon carboys, which doesn't leave much headspace, so a blowoff tube was used on both. I ferment in an unused bathroom in my basement,which normally stays very cool. I noticed very vigorous activity after 6-8 hours and to my surprise noticed that both vessels were registering off the chart on their respective fermometers, meaning no less than 80F.

I was looking forward to the apple and citrus notes White Labs describes from this strain, but I'm worried its going to be a hot, banana bread mess. Thankfully the spices will contribute to the overall flavor profile, but i would like to know if anyone here has experience with this strain and a high temperature fermentation? What should i expect? I intended to gift most of this batch out, so I want to get an idea of what to expect.

And I suppose i need to consider some feremntation temperature control for the future.

I just brewed my yearly "Festivus Ale" last night using Burton Ale...it's been 14 hours since I pitched my starter and it's taking forever to get going. A couple bubbles here and there, and barely any krausen. Seems weird considering the 1.082 og. (much higher than I anticipated, by the way). I'll let it go, (might even give it a good swirl) but if I don't see any activity soon, I might have to pitch a packet of us04

Back