Burnt Mash = No Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Blichmann 15 Gallon w/False Bottom Pot as a Mash Tun. I was doing a Step Mash (using Belgian 2-Row) going from Acid Rest-Protein Rest-Scarification. As I was coming up to temp for Scarification, I’m guessing there was to much grain around my temperature prob. Bottom line, I burnt my mash! Like really bad (I’m still cleaning the pot).

I’ve since gone through the rest of the process and pitched the yeast. Here we are four days later and I’m seeing zero activity. It’s a 10 Gallon batch in a 14 Gallon conical that is being temperature controlled (68º) My yeast is Wyeast 3522 | Belgian Ardennes.

Is it possible that my non-fermentation is related to the burnt mash?

And yes, the wort tasted burnt.....but I figured why not continue through the process. Who knows, I might have created the greatest beer in the world...that I could never recreate?

There may still be fermentable sugars in the wort but the primary issues would be the heat having denatured the enzymes before full conversion took place, or that the burning ruined any of the sugars you did extract. It's probably a combination of both.

Did it taste sweet at all? Since it's already a possibly ruined batch this might be worth a beano experiment :)

I thought it did taste sweet. I thought, that perhaps since I was ramping up the temp, that I was getting conversion? I'll give it a day or two. And I'm not sure what a beano experiment is...but I'm willing to try.

Beano can help break down starches in the wort into sugars for fermentation if they weren't converted. I'm not sure what it would do to f*cked-up, caramelized, burned sugars and starches though hah! I'm happy you moved on after burning the mash though. experiments are fun!

I have a Blichmann 15 Gallon w/False Bottom Pot as a Mash Tun. I was doing a Step Mash (using Belgian 2-Row) going from Acid Rest-Protein Rest-Scarification. As I was coming up to temp for Scarification, I’m guessing there was to much grain around my temperature prob. Bottom line, I burnt my mash! Like really bad (I’m still cleaning the pot).

I’ve since gone through the rest of the process and pitched the yeast. Here we are four days later and I’m seeing zero activity. It’s a 10 Gallon batch in a 14 Gallon conical that is being temperature controlled (68º) My yeast is Wyeast 3522 | Belgian Ardennes.

Is it possible that my non-fermentation is related to the burnt mash?

And yes, the wort tasted burnt.....but I figured why not continue through the process. Who knows, I might have created the greatest beer in the world...that I could never recreate?

dump it and try again.

The sensible thing to do would be to just dump it- but if it was me, I'd buy some Beano, add it to the ferementer, and see what happens.

No starch conversion test performed?

No gravity measurement?

Going on taste and bubbles?

To quote a really nice robot... "Need Input."

Cheers!

Back