Burnt bouche, too sweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woggers

Reaction score
I started a burnt mead about 2 months ago. Og, 1.122, pitched safale 05 along with energizer and nutrient. Aerated appropriately. It has finished out at 1.022. (Took 2 months - this was on the advice from a comercial mead maker in detroit)
Definetely in the dessert/ sweet mead range. I was hoping to get it down to 1.01-1.015 ish before i transferred to secondary. The ale yeast is pretty much at its limits but if i pitch a wine yeast wont it go dry? Any ideas?

I dont mind the sweetness but am afraid after it ages, thats all i will taste

Caramelizing the honey renders some of the sugars unfermentable to the yeasts, so it stands to reason that a bochet will have a bit more sweetness to it than a traditional. It does sound like yours has a bit too much sweetness though. I would bite the bullet, pitch a wine yeast, let it ferment and then stabilize and backsweeten.

A mix of 2 parts malic and 1 part tartaric acid(s), added incrementally to drop the pH to 3.0 or lower. Taste after every addition.

The seemingly excessive acid will mask a fair bit of the sweetness.

Or add some tannin, again incrementally. .... it just takes a bit longer as there's no way of measuring the effect you just have to add some and then leave it a week or so to mellow in.....

Back