burner not working properly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandalG

Reaction score
I have a Banjo KAB4 that I have been using for a few years now. The last few times I used it when I fire it up I get a good flame but after awhile it gets weak.I get frost on the bottom part of the propane tank depending on how much gas is left but not sure if that means anything. At first I thought that might have something to do with the gas being restricted after awhile. Or do I need a new regulator? Has anyone else had a problem like this?

I have a Banjo KAB4 that I have been using for a few years now. The last few times I used it when I fire it up I get a good flame but after awhile it gets weak.I get frost on the bottom part of the propane tank depending on how much gas is left but not sure if that means anything. At first I thought that might have something to do with the gas being restricted after awhile. Or do I need a new regulator? Has anyone else had a problem like this?

It's not the burner, it's the ambient temperature of the tank and the outside air, you are using the tank in cold conditions and it is affecting the way the gas flows. I have found the solution is to place your tank in a tub of warm water to raise the temp of the gas itself and keep it more stable.

The gas itself gets cold and the cold air makes it colder so the flow is reduced and nothing functions properly or efficiently. If you shake the tank you will see things improve but it's temporary and a PITA.

For me, I bring the tank indoors overnight when it is really cold outside. I make sure the valve is all the way off, and since I don't have any appliances with a pilot light, I don't worry about it.

You can put the tank in a tub of water while you are using it. That's what I did before switching to NG. Those burners really suck down the propane.

As already said the propane is freezing inside the tank I use a tub of hot water to keep it warm. If you have a place to fill the tank fill it before each brew it is less likely to happen to a full tank.

It's the propane, which is stored in your tank in a liquid form. As it "boils" and turns to gas, your regulator receives the gas from the tank and sends it to the burner. When it is cold outside, the pressure in the tank drops, and the liquid turns to gas at a much slower rate, but your stout KAB4 burner is still trying to use a lot of gas. Usually when the outdoor temps are below 50 it tends to be more of a problem. As stated above, a simple solution is to put the tank in a tub of warm water, or occasionally douse it in warm water. In the winter it's best to always start with a full tank to maximize efficiency.

Back