Burner Leg Extensions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy2133

Reaction score
Need some confirmation if my thought process is correct and safe.

Would there be any danger bolting some 2" Unistrut Channel to my existing Blichman floor burner legs?

I was going to buy leg extensions when I remembered I had the material. Bolting to the existing legs will keep the channel away from the burner heat. The legs would be 24" overall length bolted in two spots to the original short legs. As of right now I brew 5-6 gallon batches looking to move to BIAB soon. Is there anything I am missing?

Thanks

Not that I could see. If done properly and you bolted to the out board sides of the floor burner legs it would actually be more stable than if you purchased the factory "extensions" which are actually longer legs to replace the stock supplied legs.
I'd probably avoid doing 1 bbl brews on it but uni-strut is pretty strong stuff.

I added the Blichmann extension legs to the outside of the shorties. It's definitely more stable than replacing the original short legs with the longer legs. I disassembled the burner, set up a jig on my drill press table so the holes would be placed consistently, then drilled away. All 3/8" SS hardware holding long legs to short.

ab_feb_01_2012_02.jpg

Don't know anything about Unistrut Channel, so you're on your own with that part. The Blichmann legs are darned heavy gauge though, and if you're doing 10 gallon batches you'll have over 100 pounds on the legs at the beginning of the boil...

Cheers!

Assuming you attach the unistrut securely and have a wide enough base, it will be the strongest part of your burner stand.

I was going to steal how day_tripper attached his legs (I saw that in another thread and still think it is brilliant). The material is the stuff eletricians and plumbers use to attach multiple conduit or pipe runs to a wall or ceiling neatly.

Back