Burned bag :o(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevreh

Reaction score
So I finally burned my nylon bag. Always heard about it possibly happening. I think I burned it because I was doing a small, 3gal., batch. As a result the water volume was less, so the weight of the nylon bag with grains put more pressure on the low density element. As it was the element had about 3" of water above it. I was doing a step mash so was firing the element with the grain bag sitting on it.

Guess if I do this one over I'll hold the bag up while firing the element.

I dumped everything, not sure how the flavor of burned nylon would affect my finished beer.

bummer, but lesson learned

IMG_1391sml.jpg

Guess I was posting this to see if anyone else had similar results. Looking back, my other mistake was probably pushing the bad against the element as I was trying to mix the hot water and grains.

That is a bummer. Maybe you can figure out a way to ensure the bag is suspended over the element next time. Or don't fire it up.

Actually..... I do have a SS screen false bottom. I stopped using it because the deadspace under the false bottom was at least 1.5 gallons. Now that I think of it, I could continuously recirculate during mashing with my solar pump. Hmmm.

Thanks for the idea!

Seems to me that an element projecting into the kettle and a bag are a formula for problems.

H.W.

You would think, but a lot of folks use bags with elements. My other ~3 or 4 batches with my electric kettle were fine. Again, I think because there was more water volume (5.5gal vs this one which was 3gal).

Happened to me a few times. It most likely occurs when an air pocket develops. You got lucky that the element didn't scorch and pop. I ended up laying a SS broccoli colander/strainer over the element to protect the bag from the element when I was brewing this way.

I'm not going to mash in my electric kettle anymore. Putting my gott cooler, thats been sitting around for a while, into service.

Biab is safer with direct fire kettles.

I'm not going to mash in my electric kettle anymore. Putting my gott cooler, thats been sitting around for a while, into service.

Biab is safer with direct fire kettles.

I came to the same conclusion and built a HERMS system. While it can work, it isn't worth the time wasted on batches that have to get tossed out.

I picked up a piece of expanded metal in 316 stainless. Bent it into a arch and trimmed to fit. Works great.

Harkin, any problems besides the bag with BIAB. I'm getting into now while I slowly build my HERMS or rims system. I'd rethink it if I'm going to get frustrated with the process.

Harkin, any problems besides the bag with BIAB. I'm getting into now while I slowly build my HERMS or rims system. I'd rethink it if I'm going to get frustrated with the process.

Not really, a lot of people are very successful with BIAB and an electric element. Just get a lot of wort under your false bottom and a big kettle and make sure you get all of your dough balls out of it, dunk sparge and definitely do a mash out. Most of my problems came from too much grain in a small pot and trying to force things onto an element. If you stay away from the element you should be ok. I ruined a few batches, then had a kid and my brew time got seriously cut down so I have to be close to perfect now on timing. That is why I went to a PID controlled HERMS system. I can mash in and walk away for an hour and know my mash temp will stay exactly where I need it. If you are debating RIMS vs HERMS, I would definitely recommend HERMS 100:1.

Latest posts

Back