Bulldog brewer unpacking(and hopefully soon brewday pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kharnynb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I finally got enough of the long waits on my stove and managed to score a cheap(ish) bulldog brewer and got it delivered this week.

here's some unboxing pics already :mug:

this is the newer version with sparge plate and steel wort chiller.

DSC_0316.jpg

DSC_0317.jpg

DSC_0318.jpg

DSC_0314.jpg

DSC_0319.jpg

DSC_0320.jpg

Brewday:
Today brewing a german style pilsner which i brewed before as a first brew, pretty basic pilsner with saaz and hallertau.

First cleaned and assembled the brewer:

DSC_0321.jpg

It's very similar indeed, the pump is external, it's basically a very cheap version of this kind of device.

Brewing over carpet as our fuses in the kitchen aren't upgraded yet.....

first lesson learned, don't use the malt pipe as a hopbag....it doesn't stop pellet hops from going around and it causes a mess of dried up hops around the edges...

DSC_0331.jpg

Next brewday more pictures, the mess from using the maltpipe as a hopbag caused me extra work that stopped me from doing photo's....next time....

There was more evaporation than expected, also ended up with a bit less volume due to losses from junk on the filters.

Other than that, a decent brewday, gotta finetune the profile a bit.

Ordered mine today will get it tomorrow.
Malt pipe defo needs to come out for the boil, it would be a massive heat sink too.

no boil over, though removing the malt pipe will reduce the risk of boil over even more.

have to make a better hop spider or something similar to get a less messy brew day.

I've got two brews done on mine now and only minor issues.
First day hop pellets straight in for the boil, blocked the screen so couldn't use the pump for my hop stand or transferring.
second brew i used leaf in a bag so no issues with the pump.
I've ordered a hop spider so i can get back to pellets.
Also ran some silicone tube to the sarge plate to prevent splashing

spider arrived yesterday absolutely battered :(

2 out of 3 brews now I've had to siphon from the top, the tap is useless if you use pellets. Leafs in a bag are fine

My spider arrived a bit bent, but easy enough to straighten, got one from ebay that was 18 euro's with shipping, one step above the really basic ones.

going to try next weekend, but it looks like a good fit.

Back