Bulk grains - Southern California

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCal-Doug

Reaction score
Anyone have the golden ticket for bulk base malts around the area? Our little handful of brewers would love to save a few more bucks if its possible. Primarily Maris Otter, German/Belgian Pilsner and Wheat. I don't mind supporting local places for specialty grains, but i'm thinking there must be options on bags of base malts.

I stopped into a fairly large brew pub and supply shop in San Diego the other day hearing rumor they sell bulk. They will sell generic 2-row at $40/bag. The kid said that they don't use much else in their beers because "the public can't taste a difference so why would we pay more". That cracked me up. Their regular retail grain and supplies pricing were quite high compared to the Inland Empire.

Last edited:
Have you tried Morebeer in Riverside? They give a 10% discount for homebrew club membership. Not sure about bulk pricing but last time I shopped there base malt was ~$33/bag with club discount.

I was there yesterday for their twice-a-year sale day thing. Picked up quite a few things for our Thanksgiving weekend brewing shenanigans. Their domestic 2-row is about $35/bag with the club discount. I was hoping to find MO, German/Belgian pilsners, etc for less than $60/bag.

You can also check out Phantom Ales. They guarantee price match with any Cali supplier. They also run a brew club out of the shop so you might be able to get in on some group buys. They are about 20 - 30 mins from you in Anaheim.

Awesome. If its the place off of Red Gum near LaPalma, I had a client right around the corner from them last year and we would walk over for wings and root beer at lunch (they make a fantastic root beer!). I totally forgot about that place.

Yeah, that's the place. I like being able to get my supplies and a beer at the same spot.

I stopped in at Phantom today. Had a flight and some munchies. OMG the ribeye sliders were the bomb! Very good tap selection (the dry-bean coffee lager was yummy!). Wifey liked the apple/pineapple cider, and their root beer was awesome as I remembered it.

Their grain prices are higher than the inland empire but you were right. They will price match anything they can prove online. So MO is still $58/sack. Not sure if I would drive to Anaheim to buy supplies (the 91 freeway sucks), but if im in that area for a flight and some food, absolutely I'll be back.

I'd be interested in buying some bulk grains in the IE also. I'm in Menifee and brew literate is really close to my house, but I don't know what he charges for a bag of mo. When I bought my gear off a guy on Craigslist and mill was included with a big hopper,but I have never used it. No time like now. :mug:

I was there yesterday for their twice-a-year sale day thing. Picked up quite a few things for our Thanksgiving weekend brewing shenanigans. Their domestic 2-row is about $35/bag with the club discount. I was hoping to find MO, German/Belgian pilsners, etc for less than $60/bag.

That's not to much higher than the wholesale pricing. So you just have to suck it up and buy for $60 for 55#. The UK stuff is spendy. The German stuff should be about the same or maybe a little less. But that's still a good price.

Back