Bulk Aging Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacktar

Reaction score
Newbie wine maker with a few questions.

1. Should i keep my oak cubes in the carboy as i bulk age, or just the 12 days recommended in the 6 week instructions?

2. Also, if I intend to age in the carboy, should I degas the wine or just leave it?

3. How long should I wait until I bottle?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You want to rack off of the oak once the wine has enough oak flavor. Actually, a good way to do it is taste it, and if it's a little too much oak then it's ready to be racked. A little too much means it will be perfect with a bit of age.

It should degas on its own while in the carboy.

The wine should go at least 60 days without any new lees forming in the carboy. It should be racked every 60 days until that happens, if there are any lees at all. Once you go at least 60 days without any new lees forming, and the wine is totally clear, it can either be bulked aged or bottled.

As far as aging, it depends on the wine. Some lighter wines don't age as well, and peak earlier than some others (like big bold reds).

Thanks Yooper. Do you have a ballpark for the oak cubes? Can you perhaps tell me how long you've kept them in for if you've ever used them?

My wine is a Syrah. How long would you recommend I age it for?

Thanks Yooper. Do you have a ballpark for the oak cubes? Can you perhaps tell me how long you've kept them in for if you've ever used them?

My wine is a Syrah. How long would you recommend I age it for?

For oaking, I've gone from 7 days up to a month, as it really depends on the wine as to much oak is "too much" vs "enough".

For a syrah, once it's oaked and ready to bulk age I'd probably age it for 4-6 months and then bottle it and try a bottle in 4-6 months to see how it is.

However, if this is a kit (I'm not sure here), I'd follow the instructions and not change it.

Back