Building water for two different beers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonPopeil

Reaction score
The question is am I using too much of any specific salt? I'm wondering if there's a specific value that I shouldn't go over with a specific salt.

I'm using this calculator:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/

I'm starting from distilled water. I'm doing southern hemisphere IPA and aiming for light color and hoppy. For 8 gallons that build is:

Gypsum: 5.75g
Epsom salt: 4g
Table salt: 1g
Calcium chloride: 2.5g

in mg/l that gives me:

Ca+2 : 66.7
Mg+2: 13
Na+: 13
Cl-: 59.9
SO4-2: 157.4
HCO: 0.00

That would fit the profile, but I'm of the mindset that less is always more with water additions. You don't want your beer to taste like an alka seltzer was dropped in it. You may try to start with fewer additions and adjust up if you see fit. I'm sure there are some chemists on here that can give you some more specifics. That's my 2 cents.

Roed Haus Brewery

I agree that less is more. That's why I never really wanted to explore this avenue in favor of filtering my tap water. I certainly don't want a noticeable mineral flavor which is why I've posted.

In reality I have an odd flavor that presents itself in all of my beers. Has since the begining. I'm trying to narrow down what it could be by playing with this stuff and detailing my kegs out. People seem to rave about how tuning your water will get you that next big push in professional tasting product so I've been baited I suppose. I have gypsum and calcium chloride from LHBS. I keep baking soda for cleaning, epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) for baths and of course have table salt. "Sea salt" not iodized.

You should be fine with those additions. I usually use more Epsom and gypsum than you do (with what looks to be a similar starting water profile) and I love how it turns out

Before I start doing anything I always add the salts and taste the water - honestly, I can't even notice the difference between tap water and that. But I notice a difference in the final product for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You should be fine with those additions. I usually use more Epsom and gypsum than you do (with what looks to be a similar starting water profile) and I love how it turns out

Before I start doing anything I always add the salts and taste the water - honestly, I can't even notice the difference between tap water and that. But I notice a difference in the final product for sure!

this isn't tap water. i'm building off of distilled. according to the calculator i linked to the additions i posted will net me the mg/l ratio listed.

this isn't tap water. i'm building off of distilled. according to the calculator i linked to the additions i posted will net me the mg/l ratio listed.

That's fine, I've done that too. I still taste it everytime to make sure it doesn't taste like a mouthful of mineral haha

Latest posts

Back