Building Brewing Liquor from Distilled/deionised water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GavSenior

Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering if it was possible/feasible to start with distilled water or deionised water, and build your own water with your own desired mineral ion content?

I have very bad brewing water in my area and instead of trying to balance out the ion levels in the water I have, I think it could be more beneficial to start from scratch and start with distilled water and build the water into the exact profile I want. This way I can eliminate all the other undesirable content of water (pesticides etc) and have just what is needed.

Has anyone else done this before?

Are there any glaringly obvious reasons staring me in the face why this wouldn't work?!

Please add comments of your own experience with anything similar.

Thanks!

It would work, but what about using spring water instead? I'm guessing you already have it in-house since you cited pesticides as a problem with your water as well (or at least I hope you not drinking it!)

I was just wondering if it was possible/feasible to start with distilled water or deionised water, and build your own water with your own desired mineral ion content?

Definitely. That would be a better option than using the potentially crap water that you have available.

Sorry, also meant to add that I have done this many times. In addition to diluting my tap water with distilled water before adding salts to achieve a particular profile.

Back