building AIPA receipve using Mosaic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimlin

Reaction score
Looking at a west coast style IPA to use the Mosaic I've got coming. Comments welcome. Going away from the crystal heavy type of grist I'm more familiar with

Recipe: Mosaic IPA
Style: 14B-India Pale Ale(IPA)-American IPA

Expected OG: 1.068 SG
Expected FG: 1.016 SG
Expected ABV: 6.9 %
Expected ABW: 5.4 %
Expected IBU (using Rager): 77.0
Expected Color: 6.0 SRM

Fermentables
US 2-Row Malt 12.00 lb (76.2 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Munich 10L Malt 1.50 lb (9.5 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Carapils Malt 1.00 lb (6.3 %) In Mash/Steeped
US White Wheat Malt 1.00 lb (6.3 %) In Mash/Steeped
Canadian Honey Malt (Gambrinus) 0.25 lb (1.6 %) In Mash/Steeped

Hops
US Chinook (10.5 % alpha) 21 g Loose Pellet Hops used First Wort Hopped
US Chinook (10.5 % alpha) 14 g Loose Pellet Hops used 60 Min From End
Mosaic (11.6 % alpha) 29 g Loose Pellet Hops used 5 Min From End
US Chinook (10.5 % alpha) 14 g Loose Pellet Hops used 5 Min From End
Mosaic (11.6 % alpha) 29 g Loose Pellet Hops used 1 Min From End
Mosaic (11.6 % alpha) 58 g Loose Pellet Hops used Dry-Hopped
US Chinook (10.5 % alpha) 14 g Loose Pellet Hops used Dry-Hopped

Other Ingredients

Yeast: 001 cal ale

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name:Single Step Infusion (68C/154F)
Step: Rest at 154 degF for 60 mins

I would want to see some flavor additions, you really only have aroma. Take 29g of your mosaic dry hop and put it at 20m from the end of the boil. If you have more hops you can use, add a similar amount at 10m.

notes:
• brewing with my (charcoal filtered) well water I tend to find I need to aim for 5-10 IBUs higher than any commercial brands I attempt to clone to achieve the bitterness I perceive.
• I batch sparge with a Denny C type of cooler tun set up.
• my 154° is more like others' 152°

Hopefully this would finish around 1.012, putting it over 7% abv

Another point: I ordered a total of 8 oz of Mosaic (limit was two 4 oz packets from Farmhouse Brewing Supply), 4 oz each of Citra, Chinook and Columbus. Plus have plenty of Cascade and Magnum, some Centennial in the freezer.

Was thinking Mosaic IPA and the next batch would be a Summer hoppy wheat with Citra. Didn't want a fruit bomb of an IPA, hence the Chinook additions. Should I reconsider the use of the Mosaic and Citra in these two upcoming batches?

My advice would be to use less Munich, more Honey Malt, and no Carapils. Some simple sugar added at flameout wouldn't hurt either. For a true West Coast IPA, you also want to avoid the FWH approach and mash in the upper 140s to low 150s (F). For me, these are you biggest concerns... that, and pitching enough healthy yeast cells for the 1.068 OG. You didn't specify in your recipe, but I would not recommend pitching a single vial w/o a starter.

My advice would be to use less Munich, more Honey Malt, and no Carapils. Some simple sugar added at flameout wouldn't hurt either. For a true West Coast IPA, you also want to avoid the FWH approach and mash in the upper 140s to low 150s (F). For me, these are you biggest concerns... that, and pitching enough healthy yeast cells for the 1.068 OG. You didn't specify in your recipe, but I would not recommend pitching a single vial w/o a starter.

I will definitely beef up a starter leading up to the brew. Trust in mrmalty.com

Why no FWH?

Paranoid of the honey malt after reading various threads about it being cloying and overly sweet if using too much.

Just a personal preference and I get better hot breaks without relying on the technique. The beers I've brewed that were truly reminiscent of West Coast IPAs were all normally bittered. The harsh tannins / polyphenols are mostly eliminated if the hops are added during a rolling boil and not beforehand. This also reduces chill haze development so that is kind of a side benefit.

I think you'll be okay with 3-4% honey malt and no crystal. Up to you. But 1.6% will hardly be noticeable IMO.

Latest posts

Back