Building a mash tun question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickedsolo

Reaction score
I went to Home Depot, but the only parts I could find we're brass. Now, Home Depot doesn't sell anything with lead in it, so I am not concerned about that.

I realize stainless or copper is the way to go, but does anyone have and advice for this?

I believe almost all brass may have trace amounts of lead but I could be wrong. If you want stainless there are plenty of online vendors selling everything you need for the conversion. I would personally use stainless but that's me.

There are also ways to make brass safer. I think they call it pickling might want to search that if you decide to use brass.

I used home depot brass and haven't had any issues with my mash tun. I suppose I wouldnt notice the slow lead poisoning happening from the few ounces of brass coming in contact with my beer, but I'm not too worried about the lead free fittings either. Its not impossible to make brass without lead. Lead is just usually added to make machining easier.

I believe almost all brass may have trace amounts of lead but I could be wrong. If you want stainless there are plenty of online vendors selling everything you need for the conversion. I would personally use stainless but that's me.

There are also ways to make brass safer. I think they call it pickling might want to search that if you decide to use brass.

What online vendors would you recommend?

Back