Building a Kegerator - need advice/tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majestic_brew

Reaction score
I've decided to move from bottling my home brew to storing it in a keg (a Cornelius keg specifically), and building a kegerator. I've done some research, and have started buying some parts. I purchased this earlier this week:

Kegco Delux Door Mount Kegerator Conversion Kit

This weekend I need to get the keg itself, find where I can fill up the CO2 tank, find a suitable fridge, etc.

If anyone has any suggestions on a good counter high/compact refrigerator (I don't have room to convert a full sized refrigerator) I'd appreciate it. A tutorial I've bookmarked cites this refrigerator as a good one - Sanyo SR-4912M. Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you are in seattle area try the cellar home brew supply, or larrys brewing supply in kent i believe both do a one for one exchange on co2 tanks, plus you can buy a reconditioned keg there for around 40 bucks. I converted a 7.1 cubic foot freezer to a kegerator, a smaller one say 5 cubic feet should do you nicely

I converted a chest freezer (in sig). Well am converting since I got lazy with the tile work.

I get my tank filled at a paintball store. $1/lb to fill there.

There is a great thread around somewhere with now many kegs fit into specific brands of freezer. You can also trace the bottom of a keg on some cardboard to see how many fit. I based my freezer size on this method (I wanted 3 taps).

The Corny keg prices have gone up around here... it's more like $50 if you can find one.
You will have problems finding a counter height fridge that doesn't have a freezer compartment. I agree with SDB that a counter height freezer may be easier to find, or you may have to build your own box and chill it with a mini-fridge.
$1 per lb for Co2 is a killer deal. It's $18 to exchange a 10 lb tank at Central Welding.

From everything I've read here and elsewhere, I think I'm going to go the keezer route. It seems a better investment, I get more room for additional cornys, etc.

I'm looking into a 5 cu ft freezer which it looks like will hold 2 corny kegs, which will be plenty for now. Anyone recommend a particularly good brand? I'm looking at this...

GE 5.0 cu. ft. Chest Freezer in White

As always, thanks again for all the thoughts and advice.

Check Thadius' size/layout thread, but I believe you can fit 3 ball locks in the GE 5.0 freezer with a collar >10". Trust me, once you get this thing up and running you'll want capacity for the third keg, even if it's just to have one carbing while two are on tap. I think if you get that freezer, it's in your best interest to just make the taller collar to begin with and have space for keg #3. Just my two cents.

Good luck with the build and enjoy the brew.

Hi all! Just wanted to give you an update on my keezer project.

I've made it for two kegs. While I could do three, I'm just not that far along in the homebrew process to make that much. 2 is plenty for now.

Today I drilled the tap holes, screwed the collar pieces together, previewed the spout, and applied the collar to the freezer with sealant. In a couple of days I'm going to paint it with black and chalkboard paint so I can write what's on tap and in bottles on the outside. Stay tuned, and thanks for all the advice so far!

Thoughts?

image-763583653.jpg

Back