Building a Keg Washer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbcbrews

Reaction score
I'm building a keg washer and want to install lines to allow me to wash the beer and CO2 lines on a pin lock keg. Any idea what size the threading is for the posts on pin lock kegs? It seems to be both odd size (slightly less than standard 3/8") and threading (almost fits compression fittings). Maybe it's metric since my kegs say they were made in Italy? Has anybody found a way to put a pin lock post on something other than a keg? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Why not put a couple pin lock couplers on the washer and just connect them to the kegs as you wash them?

I misspoke in my original post; want to put a set of posts on so I can wash beer lines on the kegerator. I've got keg connection covered now.

Ah... That's why I used keg connectors with 1/4" flare threads on them. That way I can just pull the keg coupler off and thread that onto my little harbor freight pond pump to recirculate some BLC through my taps.
Makes it easy to switch between ball-lock, pin-lock and commercial couplers also!
Plus with some 1/4" flare couplers and a couple pieces of silicone tubing, I can even link all of my taps together and clean them all at once.

Of course, it took me about three years of futzing with a pump sprayer to clean my lines one at a time to come up with that idea. It was well worth the extra money though IMHO.

I put QD's right onto the washer with a splitter. Works great for kegs and corboys. I also use the QD's that have the flare fitting so it's easier if try need to come off.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400686074.486425.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401757349.086129.jpg
Here's the finished project. 720 gph fountain pump connected to 1/2 inch copper (because I had it sitting around) with connections to wash corny kegs (including the gas and beer lines), carboys, and beer lines. Test run on carboys used as primaries took less than 5 minutes to remove all trub with PBW. Only thing I've noticed is PBW is corroding the steel handle of the valve above the pump so I could shut off the keg/carboy washer when I am cleaning beer lines. May have to replace the valve eventually.

What sucks is when all your carboys have the orange handles on them..... I am needing to modify the blue carboy "holder" to allow the handle to remain on when using the washer. Always a good challenge in this hobby...

Back