bugs in my hops, bugs in my brew!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDGator

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So i harvested my Cascade hops a few weekends ago. didn't weight them but got 2- 5gal pails of them from my second year plant. i laid them out on old window screens for about 5 days to dry with a fan blowing air around in my garage. once dry i tossed them in ziplock bags, squeezed as much air out as possible, and put them in my freezer.

i brewed a simple extract 15min Cascade pale ale with these hops. tossed 2oz at 15min and 2oz at 5min. when i was taking the pot off the stove i noticed a bunch (seemed like 30 or more) of these little whitish caterpillars. since i had everything ready, i cooled down the wort and poured it into the FV and pitched my yeast. gonna call it bug ale. and yes i'm gonna drink it!!! LOL

anyone have issues with little caterpillars like this before? i never noticed a single one while harvesting, drying, or packaging them up.

So i harvested my Cascade hops a few weekends ago. didn't weight them but got 2- 5gal pails of them from my second year plant. i laid them out on old window screens for about 5 days to dry with a fan blowing air around in my garage. once dry i tossed them in ziplock bags, squeezed as much air out as possible, and put them in my freezer.

i brewed a simple extract 15min Cascade pale ale with these hops. tossed 2oz at 15min and 2oz at 5min. when i was taking the pot off the stove i noticed a bunch (seemed like 30 or more) of these little whitish caterpillars. since i had everything ready, i cooled down the wort and poured it into the FV and pitched my yeast. gonna call it bug ale. and yes i'm gonna drink it!!! LOL

anyone have issues with little caterpillars like this before? i never noticed a single one while harvesting, drying, or packaging them up.

Good for you!! I'd have done the same thing!!

H.W.

I'd drink them too, but some bugs (and some caterpillars too) give off nasty scents/flavors as a defensive mechanism. They could give you a bad flavor, but you won't know until you try, so bug on!:mug:

I'd drink them too, but some bugs (and some caterpillars too) give off nasty scents/flavors as a defensive mechanism. They could give you a bad flavor, but you won't know until you try, so bug on!:mug:

Just give it your friends, and tell them it is a one time release with an experimental hop. They'll love it.

I had something similar happen to me when i was brewing a Red a few months ago. I was vorlaufing and noticed a giant spider had crawled in there somehow when i doughed in (i assume) he was just chillen at the top dead in a ball. So i called it Spiderman Red. Tasted great :p

Latest posts

Back