Budwieser brewing is hard.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the clarification, we have ruled out rice as the culprit for Budweiser consistently brewing bad beer the hard way.

Quote me where I acknowledged that they brewed "the hard way"... I didnt. And I dont think they do. I said I "respect" that they can produce as much as they can with consistency. Thats it. If you think it tastes like crap, good for you, dont drink it. I even said their beer wasnt anything to write home about. Just said it was "to style" and even on that statement, I noted that American Light Lagers and American lagers didnt have much flavor to begin with.

Thank god I was never pregnant because I ALWAYS drank when I was never pregnant [and operating heavy machinery]. ALWAYS was wasted while operating heavy machinery...that was my rule.

So why are ingredients not listed on beer labels?

Heavy machinery is better to operate wasted because it moves at about the same speed you process... Its like an equilibrium...

As for ingredients, I couldnt tell you why they are listed.

I'm pretty sure that all you opinionated folk that absolutely hate AB for their productions of awesome American Lagers couldn't even come close to turning out anything comparable, not with out calling it your beloved "Farmhouse or sours" (and Que the piss in the bottle jokes).
Fact of the matter is they do make beer, whether you like it or not, beer is beer. Don't get me wrong I absolutely hate those guys, but I'll admit I hate them for stupid reasons. Reason that I think many home brewers won't admit to. I hate them because I'm jealous, I'm jealous because years and years ago some dude made a great batch of beer. Obviously it was good. With this batch he blew up and took over the world made a bagillion dollars (if you don't know a "bagillion" is a lot of money) and was able to start buying a lot of cool **** to make more and more and more beers. I'm jealous of the bagllion dollars they made which allowed them to hire scientists and really nice shiny equipment. I'm jealous that they were able to take their home brew and magnify it by like a gabillion x2 (which if you didn't know is a lot of beer x2). I like Bud especially on a hot day, do I like all the beers that AB puts out hell no, just like I don't like all the beers that Sierra Nevada puts out yadda yadda yadda. Look you haters are going to hate but whats sad is that empowers people and you might be totally oblivious to it. So pipe down brew a lager, and do some soul searching. LOL that was fun. Oh I have two Budweiser clones lagering as I type.:rockin:

Heavy machinery is better to operate wasted because it moves at about the same speed you process... Its like an equilibrium...

As for ingredients, I couldnt tell you why they are listed.

I KNOW! but you shouldn't do that for safety's sake right?

No beer that I know of lists ingredients. Every other food item I can think of does. Maybe there is some kind of connection between alchohol and gubbmint? Who would'a thought?

Instead of pissin and moaning about how bad BMC is, let's all get together and force all to disclose their ingredients. Good beer will shine in that arangement.

I KNOW! but you shouldn't do that for safety's sake right?

No beer that I know of lists ingredients. Every other food item I can think of does. Maybe there is some kind of connection between alchohol and gubbmint? Who would'a thought?

Instead of pissin and moaning about how bad BMC is, let's all get together and force all to disclose their ingredients. Good beer will shine in that arangement.

I got a Lull stuck pretty good once after the snow melted after a heavy night of drinking... Swear it was sunk almost to the top of the wheels! Got it out though, and the hopper to the second floor. Talk about a win!

Id agree on the ingredients part. This reminds me, Rogue typically lists their ingredients on their bombers (not amounts though). Maybe its up to the breweries, but def not required.

I got a Lull stuck pretty good once after the snow melted after a heavy night of drinking... Swear it was sunk almost to the top of the wheels! Got it out though, and the hopper to the second floor. Talk about a win!

Id agree on the ingredients part. This reminds me, Rogue typically lists their ingredients on their bombers (not amounts though). Maybe its up to the breweries, but def not required.

Whoa, you sound like a drunk yooper. I can totally relate to that man. Did ya have to break out da swampers?

Say how bout' HBT petitions the gubbmint to inforce ingredient labling on beers eh? Should be easy right? And it will be in place within about 30 years.

Whoa, you sound like a drunk yooper. I can totally relate to that man. Did ya have to break out da swampers?

Say how bout' HBT petitions the gubbmint to inforce ingredient labling on beers eh? Should be easy right? And it will be in place within about 30 years.

A lot of luck and a little rockin'... Foreman wasnt too happy as there was no operator on the site at the time... Oh well.

I think a HBT petition would make some noise... Your reaching for 30 years though... You must also want 5% raises and Social Security:cross:

The costs associated with ingredient disclosure regulations would only hurt the smallest breweries.

Making a lager with minimal flavor is only impossible if you're still having trouble fermenting a Mr. Beer kit. There's nothing particularly good about it. Yeah ok for some people there's a time and place for mega industrial minimally flavored swill because the tv says light beer is manly. If you like that that's fine, but there's nothing to praise about it. Although huge sums are spent to convince you otherwise, bland mediocrity is not a virtue.

A lot of luck and a little rockin'... Foreman wasnt too happy as there was no operator on the site at the time... Oh well.

I think a HBT petition would make some noise... Your reaching for 30 years though... You must also want 5% raises and Social Security:cross:

I do not expect any Social Security even though I have paid in my entire career. I am opposed to raises. They drive inflation. Every raise you get says "**** you parent that have saved money for retirement and die a poor **** that had dreams". Well, that is a bit extreme but true.

The costs associated with ingredient disclosure regulations would only hurt the smallest breweries.

Making a lager with minimal flavor is only impossible if you're still having trouble fermenting a Mr. Beer kit. There's nothing particularly good about it. Yeah ok for some people there's a time and place for mega industrial minimally flavored swill because the tv says light beer is manly. If you like that that's fine, but there's nothing to praise about it.

How much do breweries spend on packaging and labeling? Small or big is irrelevant. I cannot believe there is an extra cost associated with fully disclosing ingredients. It is simply not required for some reason. I do not trust big business. Do you?

The reason Budweiser is so "consistent" is that they brew it concentrated and then water it back to the right % alcohol. If I recall, they brew it at 7%-ish and cut it down to 5%.

That way they make more beer from a smaller fermenter, and if one batch is more or less efficient or there's some difference in grain or whatever from batch to batch it doesn't make as big difference in the final product.

The reason Budweiser is so "consistent" is that they brew it concentrated and then water it back to the right % alcohol. If I recall, they brew it at 7%-ish and cut it down to 5%.

That way they make more beer from a smaller fermenter, and if one batch is more or less efficient or there's some difference in grain or whatever from batch to batch it doesn't make as big difference in the final product.

Its exactly what they do. They do a 2-3 hour rest around 148 I believe, then dilute the final product.

Does it mean its a bad product? No. From a business standpoint, its on point. Getting the most bang for your buck. Capitalizing on investment.

I am sitting in a MillerCoors brewery right now!!! And hard? Only as hard as any other industrial process. Some of the beers they don't release to the public are actually pretty good.

iy8i1.jpg

WOW. Bottom line for me we know how to make great beer. Mmm having our friends com over for a brew is so much fun. Brewing it for a living mmm not tried that. Maybe one day.

Remember the frogs? "Bud" "wise" "er". This is why I started drinking bud and can't stop

In what way would adding a tiny section that says ingredients, and then listing them, increase costs so much that it "hurts" any brewery?

Here, I'll cover a ton of beers,

Ingredients: Water, Malted Barley, Hops, Yeast.

I think the only ones who need to worry are those that use corn syrup instead of malt. Or some other cheaper way to bump up the sugar content... and In that case, I'd like them to worry...

Reading that quickly, I saw "ice".
Then I'm thinking "Why the flocc would they put ice in beer? I mean, a saw a Spanish hooker do that once, but, hey it is better very cold..."
Oh yeah, he said "rice". Never mind.
:D

This seems like brewing the easy way to me...

I'm sure that AB had no idea the interest they'd generate in craft beer and home brewing when making their "anti-craft beer" ad. In that ad, they did something they had really never done before - they acknowledged the existence of the craft and home brew beer. Some AB Inbev VP probably got irked when he heard that U. S. craft beer sales had eclipsed sales of Budweiser! But when you point a goad at someone, make sure it is going to prick and not tickle the subject! Viva la Craft!

"Pilsners have their place in the world but call a spade a spade, Budweiser tastes like piss. Unless its free... then it tastes like ambrosia."

I'd say that Budweiser tastes like piss, and when it's free it tastes like free piss.

The quote I think is misplaced. What I see from that chart is that Budweiser is at least 59 times more efficient at the whole beer thing. Put another way each Budweiser employee works as hard as 59 craft brew employees...that it takes 59 hipsters to do the same job. ;)

The quote I think is misplaced. What I see from that chart is that Budweiser is at least 59 times more efficient at the whole beer thing. Put another way each Budweiser employee works as hard as 59 craft brew employees...that it takes 59 hipsters to do the same job. ;)

Or flip it on its ear.:sly:

It take 59 times more effort to create quality beer.

Being 59 times more efficient at brewing bad beer is not something to be proud of.

Just a little something I worked up...

brewedthehumanway.png

Brewed the "hard" way? After seeing this I think the only thing "hard" is what they are using for a mash paddle. Using a little wood to stir up their brew. They use beechwood also.

You say the word "hipster" like it is a swear word.
I seriously doubt that very many brewing establishments would consider themselves hipster, Let alone most people on HBT. You can find out more about hipsters here http://www.wikihow.com/Be-a-Hipster. From what I read (and I did have to look this up) it seems hipsters are more likely to drink the beer than create it. But hey maybe I am wrong and some hipster on here can correct me. I don't know I was a "flower child" born halfway between the betnic and the hipster.

Having a clipboard and walking around once in awhile pushing a button does not constitute "working as hard as". This just means that sometime in the past the "hard" work required for brewing was automated and 59 "hard" jobs were eliminated. Additionally with craft brewers being privately owned for the most part the amount of automation sized for a smaller brewery is most likely not as available and the expense of a custom system is out of range for the smaller guy. On the plus side it is great to see hard working Americans putting other hard working Americans to work creating something that everyone can enjoy.

It's kinda hard to miss the winky face, so I don't know what you're ranting about. And yeah, hipster is a pejorative term. Try telling a hipster that they're a hipster.

Thanks for the pic.

Now imagine that each one of those screens represented 8.85 people. ...

i don't like seeing .85 of a person. it's always awkward and really hard to not stare at where the missing limb used to be.

It is however brewed to style though on a consistent basis. And they have won awards for it, more than once. Therefore, other brewers and judges feel the same.

the one thing that's a bit funny, *in my opinion,* is when i see someone who says that they brew to style. many people are attempting to create new styles every time they brew. so you take something like a lager, make it even more tasteless (by the way, lagers don't have to be completely tasteless), or do the same with a pilsner, and then call it american. now we have created the american lager, or even worse the american light lager, and it's crap. but hey at least we're brewing to style right?

if someone brews something "new" these days in the craft world and it's crap, they would never be able to continue with that crap style. it wouldn't make it. the reason why these ****ty beers and their styles came into being has more to do with businessmen making cheap beer, government regulation at the time, and WWII taking up most of the countries grains, which meant very little leftover for the small brewery. before that american style beers, even craft beers at the time, were not flavorless.

I hate them because I'm jealous, I'm jealous because years and years ago some dude made a great batch of beer. Obviously it was good. With this batch he blew up and took over the world made a bagillion dollars (if you don't know a "bagillion" is a lot of money) and was able to start buying a lot of cool **** to make more and more and more beers. I'm jealous of the bagllion dollars they made which allowed them to hire scientists and really nice shiny equipment. I'm jealous that they were able to take their home brew and magnify it by like a gabillion x2 (which if you didn't know is a lot of beer x2).

Look up the history of AB. it was not a craft brew that sold a bunch of money. it was a soap maker (the A 1/2) who bought out a local brewery, and whose daughter married a brewery supplier (the B 1/2). So it was basically two businessmen who saw their chance at a blooming business right after prohibition was lifted. They then settled on one of the cheapest beers to make, and because of their already accumulated wealth and affiliations, were able to streamline their product and delivery of that product way better than any of the smaller breweries at the time. Not to mention that they had some accumulated wealth and influence in order to buy more of the leftover grains (the ones not being used to fuel the troops) than the small breweries could.

summary of the above book:
1) they invented the crap style, and keep to that style, that doesn't make them praiseworthy.
2) they were never craft brewers or homebrewers who happened to make it big. they have been about profits since the beginning, never about making good beer.

"Quality" is in the mouth of The beholder, right?

I'll be the last one to praise Budweiser but the argument seems kinda silly.

Look at this way,,,

Who makes better steel? A blacksmith or a steel mill.
?

Latest posts

Back