Budget Propane Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlakeL

Reaction score
Right now I'm doing 2.5 gallon extract batches but i'm restricted to the times I can brew because my wife hates the smell of brewing. I want to get a propane burner so I can brew whenever I want and cleanup will probably be easier. What would be a good budget burner? I'm thinking of just getting the SP10 from Amazon since I'll probably not find a better deal locally.

I'd go for an SQ-14. The SP10 has a tendency to soot after a while.

I'd also go for the SQ-14. I've used it for the past year and its been a fantastic burner. Sometimes you can score a better deal after Thanksgiving at the big box hardware stores. They usually have turkey fryers on clearance after Thanksgiving and you can get a large pot, basket (useful for all-grain brew in a bag brewing), burner, and thermometer for around $30-$40.

Yet another vote for the SQ-14. You can find good prices on it looking around and it's a great burner. Been using it with my 10 gal. pot for a year now and have no complaints. I probably get 6 or so brews on a tank of propane with it.

I got bannished from brewing in the house when the wife was preggo (the smell actually made her sick). I purchased a budget Turkey fryer off Amazon. That was a year and a half ago now and it's still going strong.

I've got no problems with my SP-10. Just make sure you don't leave it in the elements. Before I started brewing it was a turkey fryer that stayed outside. When I started brewing the burner was completely rusted and didn't burn well. I replaced the burner and it's run like a champ for 9 batches since.

Unfortunately the SQ-14 is above my price range. I am interested in going back to All Grain at some point and doing BIAB so the turkey fryer setup might be better since my current brew pot is too small.

I got bannished from brewing in the house when the wife was preggo (the smell actually made her sick). I purchased a budget Turkey fryer off Amazon. That was a year and a half ago now and it's still going strong.

Can you give me a link to which one you bought?

ktblunden said:
I've got no problems with my SP-10. Just make sure you don't leave it in the elements. Before I started brewing it was a turkey fryer that stayed outside. When I started brewing the burner was completely rusted and didn't burn well. I replaced the burner and it's run like a champ for 9 batches since.

This. I need to take mine apart again and wire brush the rust out. That being said, I plan on getting a SQ-14 or 2 next.

SP10 works great for me! Do it. Just don't be surprised when the paint gets all nasty. Its first use will smell. Just try to stay away from the fumes for your first batch.

I use the SP-10 and have no sooting problems. It is quite hot and fast. I also use a turkey fryer for my HLT, it is a bit slow.

I plan on changing the burner on the HLT and will be getting another SP-10

On another note the SP-10 has a windscreen and the SQ-14 does not. You may need to add that if you brew in a windy place.

Unfortunately the SQ-14 is above my price range. I am interested in going back to All Grain at some point and doing BIAB so the turkey fryer setup might be better since my current brew pot is too small.

Can you give me a link to which one you bought?

Unless I am missing something, the SQ-14 is $1 more than the SP-10:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000291GBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting!!??
I seem to remember that there was at least $10 difference when I opted for the 10?? I wonder if the price on the SQ-14 dropped?

Not to go off topic...but you caught me there on an edit :)

I had to cut down those links...they were too long!

Back