Bud Light Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyClay

Reaction score
J/K. Just thought I'd rile a few guys tonight. My real questions is how long can I store a harvested yeast? And would I need to make a starter with a harvested yeast? Starters and harvesting are all new to me and I've been watching a lot of vids on YouTube but haven't seen the answer to those questions.

You're more likely to get good feedback with a legitimate thread title.

You can store it quite a while but after a couple weeks you'll want to decant and make another starter for sure. Also make sure you use water that's been boiled and cooled to remove the oxygen if you're storing it long term

J/K. Just thought I'd rile a few guys tonight. My real questions is how long can I store a harvested yeast? And would I need to make a starter with a harvested yeast? Starters and harvesting are all new to me and I've been watching a lot of vids on YouTube but haven't seen the answer to those questions.

Ha ha, I love the title! For harvesting, I believe yeast viability depends on the strain. I think you're safe for about a month with any given strain, and some will last up to a year. I haven't found any info as to how long different strains will last though.

As for making a starter, it depends on how many yeast cells you need for a particular batch. www.mrmalty.com has a yeast pitching calculator that will figure out how much harvested yeast you need to get to the required cell count for your beer. I always like making a starter because it gets the yeast back into the swing of things before dumping them into a big batch of beer.

This one went over well with my college friends (circa 1991). Most folks thought it tasted kinda like Mic Light or Bud Light. I actually started brewing to save money, and succeeded for about six months before I started making good beer. BMC drinkers like it and it's really cheap. It tastes a little better with more like 1oz of hops but then your BMC friends won't like it anymore.

Light beer:

1 can (3.3lbs) of Munton's Extra Light Malt Extract
2 lbs of honey
0.5 oz hops (~5% AA...cascade or something else... doesn't really matter) 60min

1 packet of dried ale yeast (US-05 or Munton's gold is a good choice)

Makes 5 gallons

Latest posts

Back