Bubbles have stopped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikon90s

Reaction score
My first brew and I did not take a hydrometer reading. I am on day 7 of it in the carboy. with out a starting point would a hydrometer reading now tell me anything, should I take one?

nikon90s said:
My first brew and I did not take a hydrometer reading. I am on day 7 of it in the carboy. with out a starting point would a hydrometer reading now tell me anything, should I take one?

To be more clear than the last guy: yes, you should. Even though you don't know your OG, you'll be able to tell when your fermentation has finished. Three identical gravity readings in a row near your desired FG and you're done. Take a reading now, then another in about 4 days ...

To be more clear than the last guy: yes, you should. Even though you don't know your OG, you'll be able to tell when your fermentation has finished. Three identical gravity readings in a row near your desired FG and you're done. Take a reading now, then another in about 4 days ...

Even better would be to wait another week before you take the first hydrometer reading. Your yeast have finished gorging themselves on the malt sugars but they take a bit more time to clean up the leftovers.:rockin:

Basically,when the fast bubbling slows or stops,initial fermentation is over. It'll then slowly,uneventfully creep down to FG. Then give it another 3-7 days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty.

Back