bubble hash bags for fine BIAB filtering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ross_daly

Reaction score
I haven't yet stepped into the biab world, but I'm getting close to the edge and I'm looking around for the gear. I've recently run across some bubble hash* bags on amazon and started wondering about them. Here is a set that comes with three bags, 25,73 and 220 microns. They also nest inside of each other so as to prevent clogging.

My questions are many: Could this work? Is this excessive? Could it be used just for clarification? Could it be used in combination with a 'standard' pore bag to make for a one-pull filter option?

Trying to shoot down my own ideas - I don't know if they are heat resistant, I feel like they may be too fine, and they are all designed for 5gal buckets, so it isn't scalable.

Does anyone think this might be useful, or am I just shooting at stars?

*Bubble hash is when people make hash by mixing ice and pot, then stir it around to knock off the 'frozen thc crystals' and then filter it out with the bags. I guess... The discussion of if this technique is possible with hops is yet another post...

Screen%20Shot%202013-10-28%20at%209.47.18%20PM.png

I think you're going overboard with this. You don't need to get every bit of the grain flour out of the wort. It will settle out in the fermenter just fine. I use a paint strainer bag and while my wort comes out really cloudy, the beer becomes quite clear if I let it have time to complete the ferment and settle out in the fermenter, then let it have time in the bottle to condition before I pour it.

I BIAB, and I tried all kinds of things -- bazooka tube, tea balls, hop sacks -- to keep the wort clear. Now I don't bother at all. Just dump it all right into the wort. I brewed an IPA with 8 oz of pellet hops the other day, and just let most of the goop settle and poured the rest straight into the carboy. Lots of trub, but beer was perfectly clear.

Er, to clarify, that's for filtering hops out. For the BIAB part, I just use a tulle curtain sewed into a bag.

If you can cold crash that's the best. I leave it in for at least a week at say 36*F. My beers are as clear as any BMC. Oh I use the paint bag and let it sit in the fermenter at least 4 weeks. I'm in no rush for my brews.

Back