BSG Mosaic pellets with different AA??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbwaterdog

Reaction score
So I recently received a couple packs of mosaic pellet hops from BSG and noticed that each pack has a different AA?? I've never seen this before. Why are they different?
Attach15832_20180613_171648.jpeg

The first two replies to the issue of AAU differences is spot on. Once you brew long enough you'll recognize variance in your ingredients, so don't forget to adjust your recipe for them.

There can be massive variance in produce quality and characteristics. You can take two hop plants with the same DNA, and grow them in different places and they would likely have different alpha acid percentages. You can take two seeds from the same cone, and grow them in the same place and they would likely have different alpha acid percentages. I would even be willing to say that different hops on the same plant have measurably different levels of oils, although I have no evidence for that. 'All' plants behave this way

Also many hop companies blend their hops to maintain consistency in flavor, aroma, and presumably alpha acid content.

So any number of these variables could have caused the different AA%. I'm sure there are other variables I didn't think about

Hopefully this helps

Back