BSG American Brown Ale - first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ParisBrewer

Reaction score
Ive got BSG's American Brown Ale kit in the primary. I would like something close to a vanillacream ale. Would there be any problem with adding some lactose and pure vanilla at bottling phase? This is my first brew.

I normally add lactose to the end of the boil to make sure it dissolves well. Maybe, if you want to add it, boil it in a pint or so of water, cool it to pitching temps and pour it carefully in the beer. Perhaps you can add it with your priming solution if you're bottling.
I've never added straight vanilla to a beer before but maybe someone who has will chime in. Maybe use the search function at the top of the forum and see if there's anything about that on here. I'm sure someone has done it.

I appreciate the reply. Thank you. I've seen other recipes where the vanilla is added at bottling phase. I'm gonna give it a shot. I'll update this thread after taste testing.

First brew? I would just stick to the recipe, and avoid the homebrewer tendency to kick the creativity up a notch. Everybody wants an imperial bourbon barrel-aged coffee lavender pale black session ale that is triple dry-hopped with Citra and hemp seeds, but an American brown is pretty tasty on its own. And it could be that it might not finish too dry, so adding lactose might over-do the sweetness.

But in the end, do what you wish, that's what this hobby is here for!

I took the advice of 2bluewagons. I followed the recipe instead of deviating. The first brew is now in the bottles. We sampled during bottling...very good. Will wait at least two weeks in the bottles before tasting again.

Back