Brown swing tops at Aldis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife has one in the fridge. I'll have to make sure she doesn't chuck the bottle.

Are the seals glued to the stopper like the bottles of clear sparkling lemonade they sell? I used those bottles for cider. Bought replacment stopper for when they wear out.

cider.jpg

Are the seals glued to the stopper like the bottles of clear sparkling lemonade they sell? I used those bottles for cider. Bought replacment stopper for when they wear out.

Actually yes, didn't notice that before.

bought one yesterday...i'm hoping they go on clearance in a few weeks.

Anyone seen these in Texas? We have an Aldis nearby, but I've never been inside the place. I may check it out tonight after work. Anything else there worthwhile?

Anyone seen these in Texas? We have an Aldis nearby, but I've never been inside the place. I may check it out tonight after work. Anything else there worthwhile?

Unrelated to brewing, but super cheap but decent quality groceries

Aldi has an awesome snack food aisle--mostly house-brand, but good quality. Being a German company, they usually have some German food items you don't find in regular stores. Not a bad meat dept., and some cheap produce, though selection of the latter is very basic. Good prices for staples--break, milk, eggs, cereal, etc. Some of their frozen and prepared food items can be a little dodgy--it's hit and miss with those.

Anybody ever pick up any of the beer they sell? Not sure if any of it is worth buying?

A lot of their stuff is pretty good and comparable to national brands. There aren't choices and almost everything is a house brand. So there is one brand of everything, usually 1 size of everything.

But they do also have a line of light items and a line of organic stuff.

We do about 80% of our weekly shopping there and the rest at a big supermarket. Definitely worthwhile!

A lot of their stuff is pretty good and comparable to national brands. There aren't choices and almost everything is a house brand. So there is one brand of everything, usually 1 size of everything.

But they do also have a line of light items and a line of organic stuff.

We do about 80% of our weekly shopping there and the rest at a big supermarket. Definitely worthwhile!

Our experience is similar. We maintain two shopping lists - one for Aldi and one for the supermarket. Aldi is simply cheaper.

Last year I bought several cases of the Pumpkin Spice Cider the OP lists for the bottles. Rather than throw it away, I poured all of them in a bucket, let it sit overnight to degas, then pitched an older packet of US-05 yeast. Came out at 7.4%. It was hot and undrinkable at three weeks in the bottle. After 10 months of aging, you get a little spice at the end. It is very one dimensional, but a drinkable simple cider.

It is really good mixed 75/25 with Stoli Ginger Beer.

Stoli-Ginger-Beer-cans.png

If I were doing it again, I would use the cider as a base for graff. This would drive the alcohol level up, but it would add a little complexity.

I wouldn't recommend anyone go buy the cider to make this stuff, but if you buy it for the bottles, why let it go completely to waste? :)

Obligatory Pictures:

CiderCap.jpg

CiderTop.jpg

CiderSide.jpg

Latest posts

Back