Brown specks in yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckinin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started up a yeast starter last night and when I woke up this morning checked my stir plate to find small brown specks floating on the surface. I used dme, some yeast nutrient, and wyeast American ale yeast. Is this scorched dme or something that means I need to dump and start over? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402916464.545321.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would suspect scorched DME. I don't know of any infection which would present like this. Caramelized DME would not be fermentable. Should not be a problem if your starter was designed to propagate more cells than the minimum required.

Yup, should be good. I had that when I was working with WLP007 (I think). My first starter had that and I didn't get a clear enough answer, so I dumped it and started again. At the LHBS I noticed a couple of brown specs in one of the viles. They didn't know what it was, but took it off the shelf just in case. Anyways, I did a second starter and had the spots again. When I contacted WhiteLabs they told me that it is normal with some yeast and not to worry about it.

Latest posts

Back