Brown Malt in APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quattlebaumpt

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has ever used a little Brown Malt (60L) in an APA. I am thinking something like under 5% just to add a little bit of a nutty flavor. Something like this Experimental batch 3 Gal.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Kinky Boots Pale Ale
Brewer: Quattlebaum
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 4.18 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.18 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 3.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 3.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 7.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 76.6 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2 lbs 10.3 oz Pale (2-Row) (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 47.5 %
2 lbs 10.3 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 47.5 %
4.5 oz Brown Malt (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.0 %
0.23 oz Chinook [11.90 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 4 21.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Zythos [10.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 13.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Zythos [10.90 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 6 3.2 IBUs
0.25 oz Zythos [10.90 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast 8 -

Mash Schedule: (208) Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out, Fly
Total Grain Weight: 5 lbs 9.1 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 2.44 gal of water at 166.9 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 2.42 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would replace the brown malt with 6 ounces of Briess Victory and one ounce of Chocolate malt if you are trying for a nutty flavor in pale ale in your 3 gallon batch. I mean that's what I would do but I have never.

That much brown malt is likely to be quite roasty, I'd imagine. I wouldn't use it in a pale ale, personally.

Replace about 30-40% of your two-row with Munich and you'll get a nutty flavor that is more suitable to an APA. Munich is more "sweet nutty" compared to the Brown Malt's "roasted nutty."

Amber malt also has a bit of sweet nuttiness that is more subtle than Munich that would go good with an APA. Think more ameretto nutty. Same proportion as the Munich if you want to go that route. This option would probably let the hops shine through more than the Munich would, which would be more to style for an APA.

Good luck!

I made a beer that was 50/50 Maris Otter and brown malt and loved it. People seem to have different perceptions of brown malt and perhaps there are different kinds (I know what we have today may not be what they used in the past). 4.5 ounces will make it roasty? That's not at all my experience.

EDIT: was able to go online the AHS and check past orders. It was in fact Brown Malt (they don't say whose), but it wasn't anywhere near 50%. It was 5 parts MO to 1 part Brown Malt (~17%), but that's still a good amount and it really wasn't highly roasty or astringent to me. So who knows. It wasn't a pale ale.

I made a beer that was 50/50 Maris Otter and brown malt and loved it. People seem to have different perceptions of brown malt and perhaps there are different kinds (I know what we have today may not be what they used in the past). 4.5 ounces will make it roasty? That's not at all my experience.

Perhaps not especially roast in general, but for 3 gallons of pale ale I'd say it would be.

Perhaps not especially roast in general, but for 3 gallons of pale ale I'd say it would be.

I think I need to go back and check my notes to see what exactly I used because it looks like most commercial brown malts are really heavily roasted. But it also looks like different brands are selling different things as brown malt.

I think I need to go back and check my notes to see what exactly I used because it looks like most commercial brown malts are really heavily roasted. But it also looks like different brands are selling different things as brown malt.

There's an amber malt that is labeled as amber/brown malt that I've seen that is around 25L. The brown malt I'm talking about is from Thomas Fawcett which is around 60 or so.

EDIT: 140-160 EBC...which I think is about 70L?

I think McGarnigle's experience holds weight. Some people are more sensitive to roastiness to others but you're nowhere near the 50% he used. You're trying to add nutiness and I think you'll do it with the low percent of brown.

I make a brown porter using a decent dose of brown malt. I think brown malt is incredibly unique and stands out so I would go light.

Back