broke the top of the hydrometer off....now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjunsveltie

Reaction score
1. Is it usable? I am guessing not as it would not calibrate to water.

2. It is my first belgian dubble and was an extract kit. how am i gonna know when its done. I am guessing to just let it ferment for 4 weeks at 75 (yeast happy place) and see what happens. Id go with the recipe OG but i have been off on my other 2 extracts by a few points.

Its a bummer because i think i honed in on my process on this one! Oh well have to brew another.....no one said it was a cheap hobby.

Its not usable anymore but now you can go post in the broken hydro thread.

Go buy a new one. You will want it eventually. (Pro-tip... buy 2)

bjunsveltie said:
1. Is it usable? I am guessing not as it would not calibrate to water.

2. It is my first belgian dubble and was an extract kit. how am i gonna know when its done. I am guessing to just let it ferment for 4 weeks at 75 (yeast happy place) and see what happens. Id go with the recipe OG but i have been off on my other 2 extracts by a few points.

Its a bummer because i think i honed in on my process on this one! Oh well have to brew another.....no one said it was a cheap hobby.

It will most likely be done in 4 weeks but that gives you time to grab another or a refractometer.

Still cheaper for me to brew up a nice IPA than go play a round of golf!! Lol

Bummer man.

Keep it at the right temp though for the yeast and get another one to check when it is done.

Good thing they are cheap. I keep two on hand just because

It is an unwritten law that if you only have one it will break when you need it most.

If you have two you will never break one....

When I first bought my Cooper's micro brew kit,I bought two hydrometers. I eventually broke the top off the first one shaking it dry. Won't be doing that again. Still using the second one. So go buy another one or two,you'll def use them.

I broke one a few weeks ago (rather it committed suicide by rolling off the table) so I bought two when I went to my lhbs.

Duh!!! Its the last series of readings for fermentation versus the og / fg for attenuation purposes. Thanks.

It is an unwritten law that if you only have one it will break when you need it most.

If you have two you will never break one....

This guy speaks the truth! And if you have two then both of your test tubes will break and get holes & leaks in them so that you'll have to buy a 3rd... no one said this was a cheap hobbie though right :tank:

I broke my first one a few days ago, a bottle of real lemon fell on it and it snapped like a twig. I was sad:(

Back