Briess Special Roast Malt in Dry Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Headcutter

Reaction score
I'm putting together a dry stout recipe. Has anybody tried using Briess special roast malt in a dry stout? The description of this malt on the Briess website says that it has a sourdough / tangy flavor. Wondering if this might be similar to the Guinness "tang". I've never used this malt before, so don't really know what to expect. The website also says that the malt is good for porters and "other dark beer styles". Not sure if the omission of a specific reference to "stout" has any significance. Also, the Briess website has a recipe for a dry stout and it does not include any special roast malt.

Anyway - any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Cheers from a first-time poster.

I haven't had a Guinness in quite a while, but I believe the tang comes from the hard water and dark malts in Guinness. I find that sourdough is a really good description of the flavor- I use a small amount in my Ordinary Bitter and it really gives it a great character. The omission of stout is not something you should read into- I think special roast would be great in a dry stout. Like anything in a dry stout, though, don't go overboard.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have a suggestion for how much to use? I was thinking 4% of the grist.

Headcutter said:
Anyone?

Maybe nobody is thinking about stout in the middle of summer.

I am! I used a pound of special roast and a pound of brown malt in a porter two weeks ago.

I only used 4 oz of roast so im calling this a porter. It's dry and tasty. Dark bread crust is a good descriptor of the taste.

Latest posts

Back