Briess 50 lb 2 Row Brewers Malt $64.11 includes shipping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More Beer has it for$37.99
Morebeer charges for shipping on the sacks, although it's still likely cheaper than $64.11. Or you can buy five 10-lb sacks for $1.07/lb and get free shipping. I prefer the 10 lb bags anyway, since it's easier to store them.

NorthernBrewer always has the Briess 2 Row Brewers Malt 50 lb sack at a normal price of $53.99 with free shipping. But I don't see why one would not want to opt for MoreBeer's Viking X-Tra Pale Malt in 7x 10lb sacks, 70 lb for $60.83 with free shipping. 20 lb more malt for just another $7! That's 35 cents a lb! And European too boot. And mix up Pale and Pilsner 10# sacks to one's heart content. No brainer, really.

@smata67, I've read quite a few negative reviews regarding Viking grains. Most complaints dealt mainly with two issues ~ grain consistency and efficiency. Many could not repeat proven recipes using other base grains. Many had to increase grain usage to equate to what other grains produced. Many reported taste differences.

I've read only two posters on HBT that seem to like Viking. What has been your experience in using Viking as compared with other grains?

well i just ordered 60lb's of viking pale, 79 cents a pound free shipping....i thought i'd see what efficiency i get with it....

@smata67, I've read quite a few negative reviews regarding Viking grains. Most complaints dealt mainly with two issues ~ grain consistency and efficiency. Many could not repeat proven recipes using other base grains. Many had to increase grain usage to equate to what other grains produced. Many reported taste differences.

I've read only two posters on HBT that seem to like Viking. What has been your experience in using Viking as compared with other grains?

I have not made any beers yet with the Viking Malts. I have 30 lb of the pilsner, 20 lb of the pale, and a few pounds of the wheat on hand and intend on using them over the next few months. I just got my mill in working order so don't have a basis of comparison. I had been purchasing pre-milled Briess brewer's 2 row from MoreBeer to date with good results. I expect similar results from the Viking malts. I did see the comments related to darker colors for the pale malt (but now there is the x-tra pale which should be closer to what people expect) and the occasional comments about lower efficiency. Neither are really an issue with me as long as it makes good beer. Viking is one of the largest maltsters in the world, supplying commercial entities with much higher standards than the typical homebrewer, I am quite honestly a bit skeptical about claims of it being a subpar product in any way.

I have not made any beers yet with the Viking Malts. I have 30 lb of the pilsner, 20 lb of the pale, and a few pounds of the wheat on hand and intend on using them over the next few months. I just got my mill in working order so don't have a basis of comparison. I had been purchasing pre-milled Briess brewer's 2 row from MoreBeer to date with good results. I expect similar results from the Viking malts. I did see the comments related to darker colors for the pale malt (but now there is the x-tra pale which should be closer to what people expect) and the occasional comments about lower efficiency. Neither are really an issue with me as long as it makes good beer. Viking is one of the largest maltsters in the world, supplying commercial entities with much higher standards than the typical homebrewer, I am quite honestly a bit skeptical about claims of it being a subpar product in any way.

Please keep us posted on your results....

I have also wondered about Viking, its cheaper and if it makes good beer than I would by it all day and twice on Sunday. If the efficiency drops I will see it in my numbers and just adjust accordingly in beer Smith

NorthernBrewer always has the Briess 2 Row Brewers Malt 50 lb sack at a normal price of $53.99 with free shipping. But I don't see why one would not want to opt for MoreBeer's Viking X-Tra Pale Malt in 7x 10lb sacks, 70 lb for $60.83 with free shipping. 20 lb more malt for just another $7! That's 35 cents a lb! And European too boot. And mix up Pale and Pilsner 10# sacks to one's heart content. No brainer, really.

I was at their Concord, CA showroom last wednesday myself. They had full sacks of Viking pale malt for $24.99 (maybe $25). I saw one guy get like 10 sacks. Heck of an amazing deal... but i went for the Rahr instead (never used it always wanted to). Without shipping good bulk grain is so cheap!!
I think for people with very consistent brews there could be a difference. They claim to have like 6 malt houses so maybe each bag varies a bit? I think on my setup with my skills i could probably use the grain they put in dogfood and get about the same results... but... i dunno... sometimes somthing that is too good of a deal... is, well... too good of a deal?

But huge +1 to the 10# sacks. I always add 1 or 2 to get free shipping. I do have some Viking pale, wheat, and pils this way. Figure if i use smaller amounts of it vs. soley as 100% base i will be fine.

Isn't it $0.869 a pound? ($60.83/70#). Still a great deal!!

I used Viking malt a few months back and it wasn't the best batch I made, but it might not have been the malt. I initially bought a few 10-lb bags, and I have one left (I've been using Briess lately).

I just made a very basic Blonde Ale, which should be ready for drinking starting tonight. When this keg is on its last legs, I'll make the Blonde Ale with the same recipe except I'll use Viking instead of Briess. That should give me a pretty good indication of the difference in the two malts.

I have done a taste test with Weyermann Pale Wheat, Briess White Wheat, and Viking Wheat. Right off, the Briess was clearly not as good tasting as the others. It tasted like cardboard. I don't think I'm going to use it in my wheat beers. The Weyermann was very good and left a wheaty taste that lingered on the palate. The Viking was very similar to the Weyermann and was crunchier. The Weyermann and Briess were from the LHBS and I can't say how fresh they were, but I would give the Viking a slight edge among the group due to its apparent freshness.

Please report back on your results....

i ended up with 10 gals of 1.060 at 85f wort.....so 1.063, with temp correction....or what beersmith tells me is 85% effeciency with the 20lb's malt i used....

about what i can get with homemalt sometimes....But for 79 cents a pound, and not having to deculm, nice. the batch ended up costing me $18.48, with 3 oz's chinook hops, and my usual 50 cents of gluco.

(i read someone else say that the viking malt is darker, and i'd have to say it seems to be, for an all base malt brew. This looks like i added 1lb of crystal 40 or something)

I just bought a bunch of the viking pale malt during the last sale. I've used it a few times and my only complaint would be the lovibond of it. As others have mentioned, it's probably more of 4 or 5 L instead of 2-3. Once I use up all of the pale malt, i'll be buying the xtra pale malt. Haven't noticed any efficiency issues.

i ended up with 10 gals of 1.060 at 85f wort.....so 1.063, with temp correction....or what beersmith tells me is 85% effeciency with the 20lb's malt i used....

about what i can get with homemalt sometimes....But for 79 cents a pound, and not having to deculm, nice. the batch ended up costing me $18.48, with 3 oz's chinook hops, and my usual 50 cents of gluco.

(i read someone else say that the viking malt is darker, and i'd have to say it seems to be, for an all base malt brew. This looks like i added 1lb of crystal 40 or something)

$18 bucks for 10 gallons of beer? I just paid $12 for three 16 ounce brews at the beer store. I feel like such a chump.

$18 bucks for 10 gallons of beer? I just paid $12 for three 16 ounce brews at the beer store. I feel like such a chump.
$4.00 for a pint of beer? Was that actual Craft Beer, "craft" beer, or domestic???!! Where I live you are luck if you find a 16 ounce Bud for $4.00!

Boss Tweed- Old Nation Brewing $5.69 (Four pack of 16s sell for about $18 here)
Southern Brewing Warpig $2.99 (Seasonal, Local Brewery)
Creature Comforts Imperial Tropical Haze $2.99 (Seasonal, Local Brewery. People drive from Atlanta to get some of this breweries offerings)

Old Nation Brewing's beers are ridiculously good. Think Russian River Pliny the Elder good.

Boss Tweed- Old Nation Brewing $5.69 (Four pack of 16s sell for about $18 here)
Southern Brewing Warpig $2.99 (Seasonal, Local Brewery)
Creature Comforts Imperial Tropical Haze $2.99 (Seasonal, Local Brewery. People drive from Atlanta to get some of this breweries offerings)

Old Nation Brewing's beers are ridiculously good. Think Russian River Pliny the Elder good.
Good stuff! Ok, I will mark in it the book should I be out that way... Since Russian River opened their new production facility, Pliny is (almost) always on a shelf near me... still a really good beer, but it does kinda lose it's charm when always around. Also, just SO MUCH great beer around now! What a time to be alive (and 21+!)

I have used Viking. I experienced lower efficiency however it was pretty minimal IMHO for the price. For one of my APA's I consistantly get 1.050 with 10# of grain. When I sub the 2row with Viking I'm pretty consistent at 1.045. Still pretty dang good beer and that's what matters to me.
Please report back on your results....

So it seems to me that you need to use more Viking base malt to get the same with others... The real question is how much difference. If you are saving $1.00 per pound but need an extra pound to make up for the difference, then there is no savings by buying this malt.

I have not heard enough positive about this malt that I would even give it a try...

So it seems to me that you need to use more Viking base malt to get the same with others... The real question is how much difference. If you are saving $1.00 per pound but need an extra pound to make up for the difference, then there is no savings by buying this malt.

I have not heard enough positive about this malt that I would even give it a try...
I no do math real good, but isnt it more like an extra 10% or so?

When comparing GW 2-Row with Viking's Xtra Pale, the cost difference on MoreBeer without discounts or sales is roughly 23% or $0.26 per pound ($11.29/10lbs vs $8.69/10lbs). I haven't read anyone having poor efficiency over 10% when they used Viking 100% for their 2-Row. Therefore, it appears even with lower efficiency, even if you need to use slightly more, you still would be saving money.

It nice to read about the recent brews using Viking. As others pointed out, you could use a blend of it rather than a complete 100% replacement of 2-Row. It appears the lovibond issue has been resolved by knowing actual results of Viking 2-Row being roughly 4-5L AND with the introduction of Viking's Xtra Pale with roughly 1.7-1.9L. Though, as @Nate R pointed out, Viking is processed at six different plants and that may attribute to the differences people have been experiencing. Perhaps MoreBeer has narrowed their supply to coming from one plant.

I guess the two items remaining for me is the repeatable consistancy of both the efficiency AND taste when brewing the same recipe again. Those that have recently brewed, please let us know your thoughts on the taste once it is conditioned. Please let us know your results when you brew the same recipe again.

My beer for the last 4 months has been all Viking. IPA, cream ale, pilsner. None of that beer lasts long enough to age. I'll be doing my stout again soon, that will be the true experiment. I bought everything Viking comparable to what I would usually use for the recipe.

Last edited:

if you're saving $10 for every 10lb you use, and have to use an extra pound. That's only $1. Still saving $9 per 10 lb used. Science

if you're saving $10 for every 10lb you use, and have to use an extra pound. That's only $1. Still saving $9 per 10 lb used. Science

DOH!!!! :oops:

Regarding Viking Malts: Realize you are getting a EUROPEAN malt for 25% less than comparable American malts and about half the price of other European malts. This is a bargain if there ever was one.

Regarding Viking Malts: Realize you are getting a EUROPEAN malt for 25% less than comparable American malts and about half the price of other European malts. This is a bargain if there ever was one.
Agree- BUT how old is this stock? I wonder if morebeer wasnt able to move the first round as much due to the L issues.
I bet going forward the consistency will.catch up.

Do the sacks have a date on them? I've only bought the 10# bags. This whole "dark wort thing" with the pale ale version of their malt was a non-issue from the get go. "Fake news" if you will. This malt is described as "English style," it is SUPPOSED to be darker, up to 3L just like Fawcett's and Simpsons Maris Otter pale malts. Nobody whines about Maris Otter producing a darker wort.

Last edited:
Do the sacks have a date on them? I've only bought the 10# bags. This whole "dark wort thing" with the pale ale version of their malt was a non-issue from the get go. "Fake news" if you will. This malt is described as "English style," it is SUPPOSED to be darker, up to 3L just like Fawcett's and Simpsons Maris Otter pale malts. Nobody whines about Maris Otter producing a darker wort.
Yeah good points. I think the complaint was darker wort PLUS lower efficiency... but not by much. When i saw these sacks in store... i cannit recall a date or not. Silly me for not looking!!

Back