Brewvide?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracer bullet

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not much for Facebook but logged in and also succumbed to a click ad today, at least to check it out. Anyone seen this?

https://www.getvessi.com/pages/brewvide
I like the concept, I've considered sous vide heaters for a while but prefer to leave a lid on for better warm-up to mash temps, and external recirculation seems preferable as well. But this could be interesting. Maybe in combo with a bag to keep the big pieces out? Seems to have a good screen on front. Would need to be beefed up for circulation in case pieces did get stuck.

Just sharing. Can't find much info.

It's pretty bad you even clicked on it, reposting it here is much worse, spreading spam.

I hope you realize, of course this is total horsesh!t for brewing, especially in mashing applications.
If you really want, you can get a good recirculation mash system that actually works as it's supposed to, for far less.

Bit harsh on the response, especially coming from a moderator.

That said I use an InkBird sousvide for a number of different brew related purposes. So I think the OP is not out of line in the least.

Would I buy this particular unit? No, but I also wouldn’t buy a blichmann riptide pump. The point is, it doesn’t matter.

To the OP and others, yes sous vide can be useful in brewing— I circulate small batch mashes, use for kettle souring, making sauergut, maintaining hot liquor temps when using the stove top, etc.

Are there other alternatives at different price points that might do same/similar things? Sure, but every person gets to weigh different factors in to what THEY want to do for THEIR hobby.

I personally love my InkBird sous vide.

Bit harsh on the response, especially coming from a moderator.
I didn't mean to sound harsh, just stating a fact.

It's pretty irking that when someone clicks on that link, it sends you to an overly fancy product page promising the sky but offering no useful details, pricing, or availability. One needs to sign up to get more info? That's spammy, and doesn't pass the acid test, IMO.

I get the reply, I've moderated various boards in the past and I too get irked at certain postings.

I wasn't planning to sign up for anything, hence why I posted to see if anyone knew anything. I mean if anywhere in the universe existed someone that already knew about it, it would be here so I wanted to give it a shot. There are tons of threads about sous vide use. My long time friend uses one for his 1 gallon batches he makes almost every weekend. It's not so far off reality that oen could be made specifically for the job.

I currently use an immersion heater in my mash tun, set on a temp controller along with a pump for recirculation, the whole deal plugged into a heavy duty timer. It pops on around 3AM, kicks on the heater and pump, and runs along happily until I get out of bed and mash in. I go back inside to have coffee and get my kid up, and an hour or so later I come back out and start to pep for sparge, etc. I'm typing right now actually while a boil is occurring (about 30 min left) as I just used that setup this morning.

Works well but if I could save multiple units, pump and lines, setup work, things to fail either electrically or worse, plumbing wise, and instead just shove something into the tun then I think it'd be pretty cool. Even if it was for nothing more than the pre-heat step.

So, yeah, I'd like to know more. And maybe someone here already knows more.

Found more info. I don't know if Chrome was broken yesterday or there's just more there today. The original link shows what it is now, if you scroll down, which is all I originally wondered.

I am not pushing it or promoting it. I think for large batches it'd get overwhelmed. And for very small batches, where it might actually work OK, I don't see the need since most people have stovetops already and arms that can stir a paddle. And for all its automation, you still must be around to add hops. Might be useful for just mashing, except I'll guess right now it'll be close to the cost of any other electric system already out there. No thanks.

Typical infomercial-type hype:
Vessi/BrewVide said:
[...] precision temperature control and intuitive interface make it super easy to maintain exact temperatures throughout your mash and boil processes.

Made for those who embrace a gadget solving a problem that doesn't exist.

[...] No thanks.

:thumbsup:

Bottom line for me-------

What is the cost of this?

Asking for a friend.

I'm certainly intrigued, kitchy or not. I've been using a SV stick for small batch mashes and have had really good success so far. I think this is a cool first step in bringing some more innovation to the entry level market.

Granted, I brew one gallon batches, but there's currently two ways I've used my (Anova) Sous Vide controller to brew: the obvious way, which is to use it as a HERMS water heater, and the second way, which is to sous vide pouches of water, malt, and hops to make comically small quantities of beer

I have been using a sous vide for a few years now...
Using a sous vide to cook food was, for me, a miracle device. It took cooking to a whole new level while saving me time. (What took me 12-16 hours on a smoker could happen in 24 hours with no help from me).
If someone can successfully incorporate these features into a 'plug and play' device (that one can use exisiting pots, etc.) i think it merits a fair look- and certainly deserves to be posted here imo.

That being said... i agree there are some big promises made here i do not see making it in such a small device. Boiling? Gonna be hard with 120v, and take a while. A pump?? Where? That's impressive if it happens.

My view on kickstarter/ crowd funded is very bad. Especially for homebrewers. From the Growlerwerx to Stasis to Brewie... i always seem to read the initial backers have to wait while "retail" purchases ship sooner. Plus other issues...

Final rambling, off topic note: i am a proud Brewie owner... it is a precise mash control unit with full programability. Step mashes to your hearts content. I credit most of my beer success to this AND it appeases to my massive laziness, too!

So... i think this may be the eventual future of homebrewing... even if one uses a sous-vide type heating only for mashing.

I saw the same add awhile back, couldn't figure out what I had clicked on, then just recently came across it again, I signed up to get notifications and things as well.

Here is why I am excited about it. I moved into an apartment which doesn't allow propane so I can't use my 8 gallon pot. I got a 4 gallon pot and yield about 2.25 gallons of beer when things are said and done.
This device AT LEAST gives me the option of making 5 gallon batches. I've thought about sinking thr money into an electric kettle but most I've seen are 220 and all my outlets are the 120. I've got a triathlon group that wants me to brew 2 5 gallon batches for them, I could try to do 2 beers the same but my efficiency is all over the place and I can only control 1 fermentors temps at a time so I'm not confident enough to brew the same beer twice and get exactly the same product (taste wise anyways).

Even if the pump doesn't work, I dont care I still have siphons. All it needs to do for it to be worth it is A) cost $200 or less B) Boil 6ish gallons of wort C) Maintain mash temps D) be durable enough to last awhile.

Maybe its still too good to be true, but it has me excited about it.

I don't think the Brewvide is for boiling 6 gallons, I think its for mashing/whirlpool.
Basic Brewing recently had a podcast about Sous-vide mashing in gallon ziplock bags. I haven't tried it, but reportedly if you just use a basic sous vide stick in a pot with the grain/water, you don't get even heating and there are some issues with the wort contacting the heating element.
I'm going to try it one of these days, but my standard electric stovetop/pot with and old coat for insulation has been working fine so perhaps its not even worth messing with.
The new product above, looks interesting, and like others I'm wondering about the price.
Here's the brew in a ziplock bag podcast:
https://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/e/1/d/e1...21767585&hwt=0cf1837acfa0dc1195d03b541901e095

Last edited:
It's got a chance of simmering 6 gallons of water but that's about it. Even the dedicated electric kettles with insulated walls can just manage to do it. You will be able to hit some temps to use hops how you might expect but it won't do much for actual boil-off. If you tempered expectations down to say 3 gallons getting boiled down to 2.5 - 2.75 then I think it could work.

I've got a 6.5 gallon Anvil Foundry with the included pump that packs up quite small even w/ the chiller and everything else. I've made many 3 gallon batches on it and am kind of enamored with it. I'd highly suggest it as a competitor worth comparing to.

dedicated electric kettles with insulated walls can just manage to do it
Is this true for even the higher voltage systems? I feel like a lot of microbreweries I've been too run electric so they don't have to put in a vent for gas.

Anyways those curious about the pricing, the kickstarter price will be announced June 1.
June 8th special opportunities for super early backers will be announced.
June 22nd kickstarter campaign goes live.
Not holding my breath, but im still curious to see how this all plays out.

I kinda lump it in wit that Vessi Fermenter Kegerator thing. It seems like unnecessary bling for the uninitiated. Kinda like an Alienware.

Nope, but this isn't a higher voltage system, I'm comparing to other off the shelf 120V stuff.
Okay, I figured this was the case but wasn't sure and don't know anyone personally who uses electric. Good to know that 120 kettles can't do it either I thought about them for a bit for my apartment set up.

Sure thing!

I was a bit lacking on my reply - so I guess just to clarify - it's a power / volume issue. This device could probably easily boil a gallon of water, do kind of OK with 2 - 3 gallons, and struggle to do 5 gallons especially in a normal stainless uninsulated pot. You'll get close to boil temps and see some evaporation, the hops will do what you want, but it is definitely not going to act like a propane or 240V setup, and won't be boiling off a gallon over an hour or anything like that. Basically just agreeing w/ mad scientist that it's not intended for 6 gallons going to 5, or if it is per the manufacturer then their customers are going to be quite disappointed.

As promised, here are the pricing options so far.

Retail Price - $429.00
Early Backer Price - $349.00

Will release other 'special pricing options' June 8th and 15th.

So, either this thing will kick ass and actually be able to boil 6 gallons of water as claimed, or they just spent a **** ton of money developing it, but even at $350, being an untested piece of equipment, its too steep of a price for me and my frugal blood.

I'll keep you guys updated on the other pricing specials when I get those emails.

I saw the same add awhile back, couldn't figure out what I had clicked on, then just recently came across it again, I signed up to get notifications and things as well.

Here is why I am excited about it. I moved into an apartment which doesn't allow propane so I can't use my 8 gallon pot. I got a 4 gallon pot and yield about 2.25 gallons of beer when things are said and done.
This device AT LEAST gives me the option of making 5 gallon batches. I've thought about sinking thr money into an electric kettle but most I've seen are 220 and all my outlets are the 120. I've got a triathlon group that wants me to brew 2 5 gallon batches for them, I could try to do 2 beers the same but my efficiency is all over the place and I can only control 1 fermentors temps at a time so I'm not confident enough to brew the same beer twice and get exactly the same product (taste wise anyways).

Even if the pump doesn't work, I dont care I still have siphons. All it needs to do for it to be worth it is A) cost $200 or less B) Boil 6ish gallons of wort C) Maintain mash temps D) be durable enough to last awhile.

Maybe its still too good to be true, but it has me excited about it.
Fly, if I was in your shoes I'd buy an anvil or one of the other all in ones. They are not much more $$ and it is a whole system and with the 10.5 you can brew close to 10 gal batches.

Edit: Dang, with those prices you can get a lot more and my guess better. The Anvil is 399 + 99 more for the pump kit, and can go from 120 t0 240 when desired. I don't know about the other AIO's, but this seems like a better option IMHO.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the info on the Anvil!
I found out we have a few hose hookups near the community grills. Seems like if theres propane to the grills, using propane to make beer there shouldn't be any issue.
So I ended up buying a 10 gallon HD cooler turned into mashtun with false bottom and fittings for like 60 off of Facebook, ill use this for when I decide I must have big batches.

I still can't believe the price tag they put on this thing. Oh well.

Back