Brewstand Regrets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone who built their brewstands themselves had any advice or wished they had done it differently somehow?

I plan to build a single tier out of Aluminum L channel: 54" x 18" x 28" high.

I'm wondering if it is too tall for how wide it is... Will it be too top heavy?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Aluminum and high temps will not work well long term. Stainless and mild steel are the most common I would say.

No regrets with my stand. I would change the rear lower cross bar to give me more room between the burner and my black pipe manifold, but it works well for me and I am happy.

View attachment Brutus 10 2.0.pdf

smugshot_1615585-XL.jpg

Propane burns at about 2400F in normal air. Aluminum's melting point is only 1220F, stainless melts at 2700F. You're stand won't be subjected to the full temperature of the flame, but I still wouldn't take the chance on using aluminum.

Any regrets (read extra money down the road to modify the stand) have been related to my not planning for the future well enough. Imagine your dream stand, with automation, big control panels, plumbing for gas and liquid, and sized to hold vessels about 2 times larger than you ever think you'll need.

Honestly believing that I would not increase batch size or seek to temperature control my rig (and, therefore, not having a burner under my MLT) have been the most costly things to me as far as needing to have additional welding and plumbing work done on my stands.

Yes, I said stands. But I don't regret having the second single tier system built. I didn't have room for it without a lot of reorganizing that I just couldn't foresee early on.

Oh, and if you have room, go single tier.

Aluminum and high temps will not work well long term. Stainless and mild steel are the most common I would say.

No regrets with my stand. I would change the rear lower cross bar to give me more room between the burner and my black pipe manifold, but it works well for me and I am happy.

Thanks for the advice. I only selected Aluminum for the look of the stand when completed vs. using slotted angle iron.i know some have made their stands from Al slotted tubing, but this is thinner stock. Hmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Propane burns at about 2400F in normal air. Aluminum's melting point is only 1220F, stainless melts at 2700F. You're stand won't be subjected to the full temperature of the flame, but I still wouldn't take the chance on using aluminum.

Thanks for the advice. I chose it more for looks. Slotted steel would be easier to work with as all the holes are pre-drilled.

So, I've gone with the slotted steel. It will be more modular and I will be able to change it down the road or add on if need be.

Regrets? Yes a few. 1) I spend some $$ welding fittings into a keggle and decided to switch to a Blichmann 20 gallon pot; 2) I went with a triangular two tier system but soon grew tired of walking in a circle and converted to single tier; 3) Got a bunch of 2x2x 1/4" wall tube steel. it is great for drilling & tapping, but it is heavy as hell. I should replace some of the with t-slot AL in non-hot areas to lighten it up.; 4) I should have made it a bit shorter.

So no. No regrets. Only learnings.

I built a 3 tier monstrosity my first time out. I learned from that and built a 2 tier automated brewery. Now I can brew under my patio.

Go with a single tier low enough to see in the pots and you will be happy, you just have to invest in pumps.

I definitely plan on a single tier. For now I will build in one burner as I am still doing DME and partial grain brews. I plan to move to all grain soon so will build it with that in mind. I plan on painting it with engine paint, so I have to build it, disassemble it, lightly sand it, wash it with vinegar, prime it and then paint it (pant, pant..)
But, it should look good gunmetal gray with stainless bolts. I don't expect the paint near the burner to last too long, but the rest should look nice. The key is in the prep of the galvanized steel.

I built a 3 tier monstrosity my first time out. I learned from that and built a 2 tier automated brewery. Now I can brew under my patio.

Go with a single tier low enough to see in the pots and you will be happy, you just have to invest in pumps.

I put my stand together with an old bedframe. "The Jethro 10": 2 burner NG, 2 pump, mash in a (rectangular) cooler. The bottom of the keggles are 18" from the ground, extemely easy to clean. You really need to define your brewing process to get a bead on what works for you.

I tried to build a three-tier set-up and didn't get the proportions right. I went to a two-tier with one pump and it seems to work well. There are pics on the link in my signature block below.

I have half that and it primes the pumps fine. I don't run a plate chiller so I can't comment on that aspect.

Back