Brewsmith water PH calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adomka

Reaction score
So I put in all my numbers for water and tried to do a PH adjust so I know how much Phosphoric Acid to add before the mash.

Brewsmith says my my estimated mash PH is 5.7 and to add 64.1 ml of Acid. Thats 4.7 Tablespoons.

So thinking that sounded like a lot, i mashed checked ph...about 5.7 cool. Started off with about 1.5 tablespoon of Acid and PH shot down to 5.3.

So checking everything in brewsmith looks like I entered all my numbers right, what the heck is wrong.

I don't pay attention to the beersmith calculator. I have tried it but I can have a recipe and add 5 ml of lactic acid (just for example, I never add more than 2 ml) and it will show no change in ph. I use EZ water calculator and Bru'n water

Same here as @JayDog. I use Bru'n Water to figure out my minerals and acid for the PH of the mash. I don't pay much attention to the Beersmith water calculator b/c Bru'n Water has been spot on when I have checked my first handful of mashes when I got into the water profiles and PH levels.

yeah trying to get mash to 5.2 ph and adding 1.5 tbs out of the 5 brewsmith wanted got me pretty much there.

Did you actually measure your mash. If I'd be willing to bet that 1.5 tbs of lactic acid brought the mash way lower than 5.2

The pH adjustment tool in BeerSmith is new with this latest release. Think of it as the first version of the water/pH tool and treat it as such (i.e. buggy). I've found that the recommended acid/acid malt additions are just about 3 to 5 times higher than they need to be in reality.

Back