Brewing with Corn and Table Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jak1010

Reaction score
I've read hundreds of posts pertaining to bottling and carbing but I'm specifically wondering about ciders and wines where the recipe calls for corn sugar. For example EdWorts appfelwein and other cider recipe's. Can I use regular table sugar instead of corn sugar? I'm not so worried about alcohol content. My concern is with taste.

I am very new and don't speak from practical experience, but...

From what I read on here, there is no general consensus that it makes a difference or not. Some people claim it lends a "cider" taste to the brew. An equal number claim that there is no difference.

I've only done 2 batches of Apfelwein, and I used corn sugar. I just started one today with table sugar. So far, the only difference I've noticed is that the table sugar takes more shaking to dissolve and it foams up a little more.

Just FYI, 2.25 cups is equivalent to 1 pound of granulated table sugar.

Hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in because I am also interested.

Back