Brewing Water Analysis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right off the bat it looks like your Ca, Mg, and SO4 are low.

Its hard to say exact without additions without having a recipe, but If i assume a semi standard recipe for an APA with say 12 lbs of 2 row grain, I would add the following:

4 grams CaCl2
6 grams MgSO4

and 4 oz Acidulated Malt to the mash (this will be to lower your pH, initial water pH doesnt really matter, but your mash left untouched will have a high pH, with the assumption of just 12 lb 2 row.)

This is just my offering of advice, i would look into EZ Water Calculator spreadsheet before you take my word for it. Specially since i do not have your recipe. Seems to me that your additions can change for every different type of beer you brew.

It seems you have water softened with salt (sodium chloride).

The sodium levels appear to be very high.

The level of chloride is well above the level of sulfate.

Because of the excess sodium levels, I would start with DI/RO water and build from there.

His sodium level is 44ppm, Palmer recommends 0-150. So to me that would seem to be in the sweet spot.

His Cl/SO4 ration is 1.19, which according to palmer lends to a balanced beer (.77-1.3), though this has been debated to being even relevant i believe.

Back