Brewing Today, need a little help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig5_12

Reaction score
So it looks like I'm going to be brewing up my Brown Ale today....teaching a friend how to brew out of blue.

The SS screen I was using as a part of my false bottom is not going to work. I do have some Aluminum screen laying around and would like to use this stuff. Do you think it'll be okay for just one batch or should I go hunt some SS screen down?

Craig5_12 said:
So it looks like I'm going to be brewing up my Brown Ale today....teaching a friend how to brew out of blue.

The SS screen I was using as a part of my false bottom is not going to work. I do have some Aluminum screen laying around and would like to use this stuff. Do you think it'll be okay for just one batch or should I go hunt some SS screen down?

No problem at all with AL for a false bottom, but boil it first, then rinse out the vessle very well before using it for beer.

Most AL has an oil on it to keep it shiny. You'll see it on your hands when you mess with it, and when you boil it you'll see a silver scum. It should be dull and grey when it's ready.

WooHoo, thanks Cheese! Thats the answer I was looking for. Didn't even think about boiling it, but I'll do that when I get home from work. I'm on a tight schedule now that I don't have weekends to brew. Tonight will be a test of how quick I can brew whilst watching my baby and teaching a friend.

EDIT: How long in the boil? 5 minutes?

Craig5_12 said:
WooHoo, thanks Cheese! Thats the answer I was looking for. Didn't even think about boiling it, but I'll do that when I get home from work. I'm on a tight schedule now that I don't have weekends to brew. Tonight will be a test of how quick I can brew whilst watching my baby and teaching a friend.

EDIT: How long in the boil? 5 minutes?

I'd boil for about 20 minutes to be safe, then rinse well and wipe with a paper towel. If the towel stays white, you're alright! If it turns black, send it back (to boil).

Back