Brewing three ciders with three different yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyisstrange

Reaction score
I’m brewing 3 one gallon jugs of cider…I’m using a Nottingham ale yeast in one, I’m using safale s04 in another and safcider yeast in the last…they are all bubbling nicely, but the Nottingham yeast is not pushing any movement in the airlock…is that normal? The yeast is definitely working because it’s bubbling like crazy.

I wouldn't worry about it. Probably something just not well sealed for the little bit of pressure being developed and it is escaping elsewhere.

I never try to gauge anything by the airlock activity. They'll mislead you quite often.

Since I too still use glass jugs and jars for fermenting, I rely on what I see going on in the beer itself and a lot of patience.

Patience = weeks longer than the recipe probably led you to believe it will take.

Thanks…I ended up grabbing a piece of tape and taping down the bung and now she is moving like crazy…thanks!

Back