Brewing pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Run3minman

Reaction score
I Am brewing a pilsner for the first time. Is there anything special I need to know and I heard there is a different storing temp can I get some love?

I Am brewing a pilsner for the first time. Is there anything special I need to know and I heard there is a different storing temp can I get some love?

Pilsners are pretty straightforward. If it's an AG batch, I often do a decoction. For an extract batch, just following the recipe is fine. They are pretty simple.

A couple of keys- pitch a HUGE starter. Bigger than you think you'd need. And ferment at 50 degrees until it's 75% done, and then do the diacetyl rest then. After the diacetyl rest, it can be racked and lagered. I like to lager at 34 degrees for about 8 weeks before packaging. It gives a very clean smooth flavor.

Are you planning a German pilsner or a Bohemian pilsner? or a classic American pilsner?

Is 48 degrees too cold to ferment at? How long should I expect to keep it in the carboy/ before I can bottle.

48F should work just fine. Like Yooper said, lager for at least 8 weeks...figure your fermentation is going to take at least 3 weeks....so you are looking at about a 3 month evolution before you bottle.

Most pilsner yeasts optimally ferment at 50-55F. You'll be OK at 48, if that's a firm, controlled 48, but if it might fluctuate even few degrees below 48, I would be worried that it's a bit too low.

I ferment all my lagers/pilsners at 51F.

Latest posts

Back