Brewing Outdoors in Sunlight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffD1

Reaction score
So like most...I'm very careful about sunlight getting into my fermentors. I know the UV rays chemically react with hops, and I read somewhere that one study found that a beer could become skunked in as little as 1 minute in strong direct sunlight.

Then I realized that I brew outdoors in an uncovered pot in bright sunlight. Should I be worried about this? Do the hops not react to the UVs when boiling (maybe thats magical thinking on my part). Does anyone else worry about this?

I never thought about this either and I brew out doors. I've never had skunkiness though so I'm assuming sun contact is only harmful after fermentation maybe?

When you all brew outside, do you use, say an ez up canopy? I was thinking of getting one, I don't have a garage and the shed is packed. I do have an offset 10ft market umbrella though, but I need another weight to keep it from falling over.

When you all brew outside, do you use, say an ez up canopy? I was thinking of getting one, I don't have a garage and the shed is packed. I do have an offset 10ft market umbrella though, but I need another weight to keep it from falling over.

I do in the summer, but only when I'm brewing in the afternoon. I set up a table for all my goodies and ingredients, and a chair for relaxing in the shade. I love my canopy!

The burners are not under the canopy though. That wouldn't end well.

In the winter, I just brew in the garage with the door open... and a jacket. Lol!

Latest posts

Back