Brewing on a single 3-phase 16 amp circuit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lordmango

Reaction score
Hi there, guys!
This is my first post on this forum, and one of the first posts on brewing-forums in general.

I've been concidering building a single tier HERMS brewery-setup kinda thing.
Since I live here in Norway, all we have is 230V. I've been looking for ways to get the most amount of power without having to drag extension cords all over my house.
In my fusebox, most circuits have a 10 amp fuse, except for the only 3-phase outlet in the house, which has a 16 amp fuse.

From what I've seen, most single phase circuits simply use 2 leads + earth from the main power cable into the house.
I've been thinking about this, and come up with this idea: Build a separate fusebox wish a 3-phase inlet, with a main circuit breaker which then extends to 3 10 amp, single phase, circuit breakers. Wiring the whole thing up like this: 1+2, 1+3 and 2+3. This way, I can pull about 8Amps on each circuit without the 10Amp or the main 16amp fuse blowing out.

Then again with 8 Amps, as far as I'm able to think, would result in possibly 1840W on each circuit of available power if all 3 circuits are used.
If I skip the 10 Amp fuses, and use 16 amp for each circuit, it'd give me the opportunity to use all 3 at 8Amps, or a single one at 16 Amps, which again should be about 3680W.

I've asked around on the forums here in Norway, and they say I should calculate the max available power on my 3-phase outlet like this: 230V x 16A x(sqr root of 3= 1,7....), which is 6256W.
Why is it that this gives 6256W when 230Vx8Ax3 gives 5520?

What would be the correct way to wire this up to get the max amount of available power to the brewery?
Does this electrical diagram look like something that could be done?
6id16x.jpg

The Idea is simply: circuit 1 is connected to heating elements both in the boil kettle and HLT. Only one of the heating elements will be active at once.
Same with circuit 2.
Circuit 3 is for the control panel, pumps and a single heating element in the boil kettle at about half the size as the rest.

Any inputs/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards, LordMango

Your available current on the 10A circuits will be more like 16A(from each tree phase leg) / 1.73 = 9.25A.

That gives you 9.25A X 230V = 2127.5W on each 10A circuit, resulting in a total of 6382.5W (3 x 2127.5W) drawn from your 16A three phase breaker.
The current in each of the three phases will be (if you pull the same 2127.5W from each of the tree 10A circuits): 9.25A x 1.73 = 16.002A or ((3 x 2127.5W) / 230V) / 1,73 = 16.04A

Makes sense?

My bad, P-J. The site I uploaded the picture to shrinked it bigtime without telling me... :eek:

Protto, now I understand a bit more about the amps and stuffs like that.
In my head, a 16 amp leg split in 2, would give 8 amps on each, but your maths is probably alot more accurate.
From my earlier calculations, I was worried I couldn't use a 2KW heating element, but with yours it seems to be no problem at all.

Latest posts

Back