Brewing in Keg Kill Yeast with Pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LandoAllen

Reaction score
So Ive been thinking about the effects of brewing I a soda keg with relief valve for the pressure and was wondering if anyone has tried to ramp up the pressure to kill off the yeast. I would think this would be particularly useful with wines and cider but could have clear advantages with beer as well. If you cold crashed the keg first and then attached the CO2 tank the yeast wouldn't get stressed to put off bad flavors would it since they are already dormant? Would this work? What psi would you have to reach to kill the yeast? Any potential bad effects?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah, high pressure is bad for yeast, they're going to give off some nasty flavors if they're stressed. High CO2 concentration is the same bag. If you actually KILL your yeast, then you're in for a really bad time. Think spoiled soy sauce and burnt rubber.

If high pressure kills yeast, how does one explain bottle grenades?

aVZgT.gif

Cheers! ;)

That's why I was wondering if you cold crashed and made them dormant would they still produce off flavors since they are asleep? If you hooked up a CO2 tank and forced in more CO2 to kill the yeast you wouldn't have to worry about the yeast being alive to raise the pressure...

Bottle bombs happen because glass can't withstand that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back