Brewing first Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew4allMI

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am looking forward to brew my first stout. The recipe is coming from the BYO magazine for last month. I do not have the equipment for all grain, so i am choosing to do the extract with specialty grains. The recipe calls to preform a full boil, which I cannot do. Is there a reason to do the full boil? Is it alright to do a 3 gal boil for the allotted time and then top off fermenter to the 5 gal mark after boil?

Thanks

If you can't do a full boil don't worry about it, that's what extract brewing is for.doing a full boil does have it's advantages but dwrhahb

A partial boil will work just fine. If the recipe is for a full boil then you may need to slightly adjust the hops, but for a stout they play such a small part that it won't make much difference.

Yeh that is what i thought. Even when I do partial mashes i still only boil 3 gal. According to the recipe, the hop additions are 6AA kent goldings for 60 min so i know that wouldnt matter with the final product from the bottle.

Latest posts

Back