Brewing day sanitation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdcmast

Reaction score
I am going to be brewing today. I am in the process of boiling my water now. I currently have my glass carboy and plastic bucket with tools filled and soaking in a solution of oxiclean.

I also have some b brite my LHBS sold me to sanitize. My question is can I add the B-brite to the oxiclean solution to sanitize or do I need to dump, rinse, refill then add the b-brite.

Thanks

Always rinse your oxiclean. In fact, rinse it twice!

For different reasons, please don't ever mix cleaning chemicals. It can be very bad for your health.

Always rinse your oxiclean. In fact, rinse it twice!

For different reasons, please don't ever mix cleaning chemicals. It can be very bad for your health.

+1 dump, rinse well to remove the oxyclean before using the B-brite. You should consider picking up some Star-san or Iodophor next time, both are no-rinse final sanitizers.

I had the starsan in my hand and the LHBS and the lady who worked there made it sound like that was an industrial strength sanitizer and was overkill for what I needed. She actually said overkill.

I had the starsan in my hand and the LHBS and the lady who worked there made it sound like that was an industrial strength sanitizer and was overkill for what I needed. She actually said overkill.

Very bad advice from your LHBS! With that said, I would be cautious about listening to them about other advice too. Star San makes brewing soooo much easier and safer from infection.

How can better sanitization be bad? I have only ever used Starsan, and it rocks! Easy to sanitize, no-rinse (easy, and you don't have to worry about recontaminating with the rinse).

TIFWIW, I am still a n00b.

StarSan also breaks down into compounds that actually are good for the yeast as well. So you can sanitize and rack right onto the bubbles. I agree with the other posters, StarSan is THE WAY to go.

Just out of curiosity, why do you stress this? What will it do to the beer if you don't rinse thoroughly?

It's a good practice since it's not a no rinse item but I also have hard water. The more minerals in your water, the more you have to rinse to get the residue out.

even after rinsing two or three times I run my bottles thru a dishwasher cycle with a bit of starsan instead of soap the heat on

I also bottle over my dishwasher

sterile bottles bottling bucket over dishwasher the door catches any spills

never fear the foam

I always rinse anything that has been in an OXyclean solution very well as it feels to me like it leaves a slippery film on glass.
I think I used maybe 4 different sanitizers in the first few months I started brewing, including iodopor, but since I started using StarSan way back then I have never looked back. The stuff is IMHO just the best!
I also second the opinion that the lady in your LHBS isn't to be trusted when it comes to advice. Ask here.

The reason I ask is that I recently had a couple of beers (not the whole batch) open with a slight medicinal aroma. From talking to a few folks in my homebrew club, one cause of this can be cleaner residue in the bottle. However, from the research I've done, it seems that is only from bleach based cleaners.

Don't listen to this LHBS employee! I have tried various solutions, but have settled on PBW for cleaning, and StarSan for sanitization. Do a little research on B-Brite. I don't think it is a sanitizer, just a cleanser. This LHBS wouldn't happen to be located in Woburn, would it?

Back