Brewing 15 gallon batch equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2xbrewing

Reaction score
Hey fellas I'm going to brew a 15 gallon batch of irish red this week and I was wondering if I could do it this way to make it quicker than doing two batches. I have a 10 gallon cooler mash tun and a 15 gallon keg brew pot. I usually do batch sparging does anyone have suggestions on how to do this and get the most efficiency, should I put all the grain in and do 3 batch sparges with the right amount of water? Thanks a lot

Depending on your grain bill, I don't think your mash tun is big enough. How are you going to boil 17+ gallons of wort in a 15 gallon kettle?

I've mashed in the keggle before when I needed more space then dumped that into the mash tun after (in increments sparge half, dump that spent grain and then sparge remaining grain).

Yeah, I'm not seeing how you're gonna manage the boil without any read headroom...

I did it quite a few times till I got my 20 gallon pot. I would do a 14 gallon boil and add water to conical when completed. Did not notice any real difference in taste. I mashed for a 15 gallon recipe so the SG was pretty high with the lower amount of wort. OG was high till I added the extra 3 gallons of water then it was dead on for my normal efficiency.

Back